Anyone seen another boat like this?

wayno

Seaman Apprentice
I have been searching for another boat like this. It is an 1973 Orrion, 17ft I/O with a Ford 302 V8 and a 270 volvo penta outdrive. I have search boat classifieds and rebuild forums. So far i know that the company doesnt exist anymore and that this boat is very similar to the 1970 Galaxie models. If anyone has any info id appreciate it.

S4300450.jpg

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: Anyone seen another boat like this?

My neighbor has one just like it, what details are you looking for?

wayno

Seaman Apprentice

Id like to see some pictures of the original or the restoration. Id also like to know what they paid for it or maybe what they think the value is? Also what colors it came in.

Thanks

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've read that particular engine/outdrive downgrades the value quite a bit. $700 or so. I think the problem is in the 302 Ford engine reliability but don't know for certain. Others may know more details that I have.

Nice looking boat however.:)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

That hull is basically a carbon copy of my Silverline hull. Click my link and look at the first pics, you'll see. What I can tell you is that hull rides very well. It has more deadrise than any other trihull. So much so that when at cruising speed the outer sponsons are barely touching the water. You can bust 2 foot plus swells at full speed and be as comfortable as in a V hull. It handles very well, and is a strong hull. Most tri-hulls do not have a lot of deadsrise, this hull is the exception. I have been told by several people that my hull is very comfortable in rough water. It is very stable too, it makes a great fishing platform.

If you are looking for that boat, look for the Silverline Comoro 16T, it is the same boat.

D

DJ

Allot of tri hulls, of that vintage, used a very similar design. Siverline, Browning, Starcraft, Thompson, Reinell to name a few.

At this point (age) the brand makes very little difference. It's value is purely dependant on condition.

That boat has very nice lines, and like most tri hulls, it is inherently stable.

The powertrain is not as popular as MerCruiser for sure. However, it's easier to service and find parts for than an OMC or Chrysler.

The 302 is as durable as any engine in marine service. There were many of them out there and some jet boat makers still install new ones today. They were the mainstay of the direct drive ski boat market for years.

With normal care, it will last as long as anything. Be glad it's not a Volvo engine. Parts are no issue for the 302.