Anyone know what year Mercury 7.5

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice
Newbie with another newbie question? So I found web sights that show serial numbers and years for Mercury motors but mine does not seem to be there.

My Tag on the motor shows:

Serial 6546593
Mercury OUtboards
Mercury Marine
Division of Brunswick Corp.
Ford.DU,LAL,WIS
54935 U.S.A.

My next questions is after I asked the previous owner what fuel do I put into the motor and I think he knew just as much as I do about Outboards "Nada, Nothing". He told me just put straight 87 octane in the motor. Well maybe its best that the only time I took the motor out I didn't have the vent cap unscrewed on the gas tank so it would only run for a few minutes and die.

So what fuel mixture if any? I read Scotts post under Common Engine questions and oil mixture and from what I read its safe to go 50:1. Now can someone explain that to me please. My little 2 stroke weed eater I just put one little bottle in 1 gal of fuel and she's good to go. I would actually like to do this right so although 50:1 is safe I do want to get the exact mixture if it matters.

I plan on getting a manual but first things first does anyone know what year and model this motor is. Also I recon this is a 2 stroke motor surprising enough when I took the cover off she was really clean underneath minus some dust. Here are pics.

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Anyone know what year Mercury 7.5

Well ive learned allot today talking to a mechanic at the local marine shop. they just happened to have 2 mercury motors 84 that looked just like mine. First thing the guy told me to do was replace the impeller. So of course they didnt have one so I ordered it but long story short so much for the guy who i bought it from who said he just paid $250 for service on the motor.

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

Id say the impeller was toast!!!

Fun Times

Staff member

Yes you are correct, It's an 1984 MERCURY 7.5 M

And yes, you are still correct, It's time for a new impeller also.:eek::D:cool:

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just did some maintenance on the same motor for a friend and its a great little motor. Replaced a bad coil and impellor and she ran like a top! The hardest part was finding all the problems that were caused by the last"tech" that worked on it. I did notice that the water pump didn't want to work well unless the motor leg was totally submerged. Could be the reason yours was toasted after supposedly being serviced.

jsadamski

Recruit

As far as your question on how to properly mix your fuel to 50 to 1. Google '2 cycle oil mixing bottle' and you'll be good to go. Pretty basic.

I've got the same motor 1985 that I just picked up this year. It also needed an impeller. Starts with the first pull and just hums.

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone I appreciate the help between the forum and google along with youtube I have really learned allot. While at the shop I bought a mixture bottle and some oil and little by little Ill get this this running great. Since the the motor was apart until monday my 12 year old and I decided to take everything out and do some patch work or patch reinforcement and bed line the hull for a little mor protection from the trailer and rocks. After it dries we are going to lay some rustoleum paint down and let her dry over night. Really excited about having a little boat even though shes the same age as me 35 years old she still has allot of water left in her. Thanks everyone for your help.