Anyone know What these are????

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Got these from a marine store that closed and was selling boxes full of items.They are very hard/rigid but with some flex, made of fiberglass I think ...Strips are all the same width and lengths vary from 3-5' long.The longer ones have rubber caps on the ends.
sorry for the lousy pics.Got approx a dozen of these things just dont know what they are???? Charlie

Attachments

• batten1.jpg
    batten1.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 42
  • batten2.jpg
    batten2.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 43

dwco5051

Commander
Duct tape!!
Started to think about this and once again more questions this answers. Treating it as an arch made me wonder how the loads and stress varied as the width increased i.e. 5 feet to 10 feet with no increase in cross sectional area of the battens. The result of the half hour or so I spent looking up formulas in books I hadn't looked at in a long time was the final result that I have forgotten a lot of math in the last 60 years. How wide will you be going to span? It might make sense to laminate pieces together with some type of epoxy cement to increase the strength (cross sectional area) and lengthen at the same time.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Started to think about this and once again more questions this answers. Treating it as an arch made me wonder how the loads and stress varied as the width increased i.e. 5 feet to 10 feet with no increase in cross sectional area of the battens. The result of the half hour or so I spent looking up formulas in books I hadn't looked at in a long time was the final result that I have forgotten a lot of math in the last 60 years. How wide will you be going to span? It might make sense to laminate pieces together with some type of epoxy cement to increase the strength (cross sectional area) and lengthen at the same time.
Lol ,sit and have a brewski, you are straining your brain on this one. Probably have to cover 10' maybe a little less.Thought of duct tape.Also thought of large shrink-wrap seals at overlaps and then duct tape over that.Probably gonna need some support from underneath unless I get a good bow to it.There has to be some sort of buckle looking metal to slide these into as they overlap and hold them in place.Still looking.Charlie

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
hose clamps to clamp two of them together. ductape wont hold, heat shrink wont hold.

zip ties may hold.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Many years back an okd boat had two supports put together with a little bracket so the two support bars could be made shorter or longer to give the arc you needed. I can picture them, but have no idea what they were called. Trying to look them up but haven't thought of the right name to locate them yet....

airshot

Rear Admiral
Foubd some on Amazon for wood slats, but no longer availiable. They are a couple stamped sheetmetal brackets with springs on them, run two slats thru them then you can adjust the length to get the arc you need. On Amazon they were under " hardwood adjustable slats for boat covers by Atwood"... You will see a pic there.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Foubd some on Amazon for wood slats, but no longer availiable. They are a couple stamped sheetmetal brackets with springs on them, run two slats thru them then you can adjust the length to get the arc you need. On Amazon they were under " hardwood adjustable slats for boat covers by Atwood"... You will see a pic there.
Thanks will have a look.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I think I may try these from amazon

AKOLAFE 12PCS Mending Plates, 10” Heavy Duty Flat Straight Brackets, Black. or just overlap the battens and drill holes for nut and bolt​

dwco5051

Commander
I think I may try these from amazon

AKOLAFE 12PCS Mending Plates, 10” Heavy Duty Flat Straight Brackets, Black. or just overlap the battens and drill holes for nut and bolt​

ColorBlack
BrandASelected
MaterialCast Iron, Metal

Straight cast iron does not take well to bending stress. Also will not let the joint maintain a natural arc if it is strong enough to not break under the load. If they are malleable cast iron they may work.

Last edited:

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
ColorBlack
BrandASelected
MaterialCast Iron, Metal

Straight cast iron does not take well to bending stress. Also will not let the joint maintain a natural arc if it is strong enough to not break under the load. If they are malleable cast iron they may work.
probably not the best choice but cheap enough to try.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Instead of steel try looking up uhmw or lexan plastic plates and do the same thing, drill and bolt together, but..these will flex, lighter weight and easier to handle. Some hdwr stores may have plastic pieces you could cut to size.