Anyone in the body shop or parts business? Wife got into accident!

Homerr

Commander
When it rains it pours!<br /><br /><br />The Wife smashed up our 1993 Nissan Quest van today. <br /><br />Thank God she's OK, and our kids wasn't with her!<br /><br /><br />She rear-ended another car. <br />Apparently, the person she hit stopped suddenly to make a right turn. There was NO way the Wife could have stopped in time. The only thing she could do was turn the van to the right to avoid hitting the car square on. <br />According to the officer who took the report, he said if my Wife had not turned her car the way she did, she would have sent the person she hit into major traffic.<br /><br />The person she hit came out of her car like a swarm of bees and verbally assaulted my Wife.<br />(term used by my insurance company)<br />Obviously the woman wasn't hurt, as she was able to yell, scream, and pound on my Wife's car window.<br /><br />We'll see what happens. I know it's a general "your fault' if you rear-end someone, but I think we have a good case against the other person.<br />The officer has to measure my Wife's skid marks and such before they determine what happens I guess.<br /><br />You law dogs out here have any ideas what might happen?<br /><br />Anyone in the auto body parts business?<br /><br />It took out the drivers fender, headlamp, turn signal, bumper valance/cover, hood, and the radiator support.<br /><br />There are other misc. parts in there that I can no longer identify.<br /><br />The insurance companies are hammering our who was at fault, but I need to make the van legal to drive for now. All I really need is the headlamp and hood for now.<br />I don't want to spend a bunch of money if we end up getting the van fixed by the other person's insurance company.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />H.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Anyone in the body shop or parts business? Wife got into accident!

Homerr, most of the time, say 99%, if you rear end someone, they say your fault cause you was not in control of your vehicle.<br /><br />Maybe, and I hope, the police report will say something different.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Unfortunetly your wife will probably held at fault. As a rule a person should allow a safe following distance between them and the car in front of them, which changes according to speed, weather cond., etc. Sometimes the person in the rear can be held not at fault so keep hoping. I know its a little late now but make sure that if in an accident to never admit any fault. The best thing to do is only what is required such as trading info. <br /><br />As a side note I rear-ended a guy about 3 months ago. It just barely dented his bumper and nothing else. He was nice enough to not report it and let me buy him out. I offered him $263, its all I had on me. He didn't want cash, he wanted a new bumper. My dad paints custom bikes so the trim was no problem on it. I bought a new bumper from the dealer for $148 and the paint was $17 for a pint. My dad had the clear already so it only cost me $165 plus gas. When I got to the dudes house to put it on he told me not to worry about it, he would do it. I tryed to give him $20 just because and he wouldn't accept it. I finnally convinced him to take his wife out to dinner on me. Heck of a guy, probably saved me several thousand in insurance over the next couple of years.

Homerr

Commander

Yea, we'll see what happens.<br /><br />She never admitted guilt at any time.<br /><br />She was at least a car length behind this person.<br /><br />I'm betting it will be a 'no-fault' case.<br />We don't have much to lose here. I'll take it to an attorney if I have to.<br />Our car has at least 2 to $3k of damage, and the other person's has a few scratches.<br /><br />Apparently this other person has an unfavorable driving record to begin with and according to my insurance agent, the person has already told 2 different stories to the officer and insurance companies.<br /><br />This will be interesting.<br /><br />Thanks for the input.<br /><br />H.

ob

Admiral

Lots of aftermarket outfits that sell OEM fenders and body parts to include radiator supports.Just rebuit my daughters Rodeo last summer.I know way more about Rodeos than I ever wanted to.Decent fit and finish on the parts we recieved and tons cheaper than the dealer.Check with any salvage yards in your area and they should have contacts to get you the parts.Beware of shipped fenders to your address at a few bucks cheaper, as many will come in damaged.Look for a Keystone automotive outlet in your area for the headlight side marker lights,and bumber panels you may need .They're pretty reasonable and the quality is decent.Good luck with any litigation you may incur.Glad to hear your wife wasn't hurt.If the air bag deployed ,get ready to bend over when the Nissan dealer gives you a price for reloading a new unit.

PW2

Commander

Good Luck.<br /><br />I had one of those some years back. I wouldn't have hit him had he not stopped in front of me.<br /><br />My guess is, no matter the driving records, you have maybe a 1% chance of winning that one.

11 footer

Lieutenant

2-3k in Damige to a '93 Nissan Quest might total it, the book can't be very high on it.<br /><br />I kid I go to school with had a simular thing happen to him Friday night. He was driving behind a women and someone cut out in frount of her coming out of the side street, she slammed on her breaks and he plowed into the back of her. He thinks he'll get 50/50 so he's not 100% at falt but I don't think its going to happen, he was driving a '02 Impala, and wreaked both fenders,hood,grill,bumper and one of the headlights.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Yep, I did the same thing about 6 months ago. Guy was real nice, only wrinkled the paint on his brand new Jag. Next call I get, insurance company said all taken care of. No increase in rates.<br /><br />He slammed on his brakes to stop at a yellow light. My POS didnt stop as quick as his Jag.<br /><br />Bottom line is, had I not been following so close, never would have been a wreck.<br /><br />Ken

Homerr

Commander

I just talked with the Wife a bit more, and there were some interesting points:<br /><br />The officer not only told here that "had you not reacted so quickly, it would have been far worse for the other person"<br />He also told her that there was no way she could have avoided the accident.<br /><br />I would think that the officers words right there would be enough to prove that my Wife was in control of her car.<br /><br />I just hate waiting. I want to know who gets it!<br />We're taking the van to a body shop today to get an estimate. We're also talking with an attorney.<br />Again, I think this is a good case.<br />The Wife is also going to the doctor, as her knee, back and shoulder are quite sore now.<br /><br />As far as getting local parts, FORGET IT!<br />I called a few junk yards, and they want new prices for used parts. What a rip off.<br />EBay has lots of parts for 1/4 the cost.<br />My local yard wanted $125 for a used light. <br />EBay has them for $29 used to $60 new.<br /><br />I was hoping someone on here might know someone who has an old Nissan Quest, or has access to one? Maybe they might give me a good deal on all the parts I need in the event I have to fix the van myself.<br />Unfortunately, I dropped full coverage off my van several months ago. My insurance keeps going up as my van gets older. I didn't see any point shelling out the full coverage for a van this old.<br /><br /><br />H.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I have access to one, I think its a '96 but they are the same body style, right? its got very high miles the the body is stright.<br /><br />Its red in color, but I don't think its practial to ship parts that big. Let me know if I could help.<br />Its at my school and they let us take parts off the cars that are going to the junk yard.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I have access to one, I think its a '96 but they are the same body style, right? its got very high miles the the body is stright.<br /><br />Its red in color, but I don't think its practial to ship parts that big. Let me know if I could help.<br />Its at my school and they let us take parts off the cars that are going to the junk yard.

Homerr

Commander

Fantastic Ryan!<br /><br />Let me know what you can get.<br /><br />Here's the mess:<br /><br />
56997124.jpg
<br /><br /><br />The most obvious parts I need:<br /><br />Hood, <br />fender<br />fender apron (plastic part underneath.. think that's what it's called) <br />Grill<br />Headlight(I bid on a light on EBay, but dunno if I'll get it)<br />Corner light<br />hood latch assembly<br />Hood latch cable (ours was pinched)<br /><br />I don't know the name of this part, but here goes:<br /><br />There's a metal piece that the radiator bolts to at the top. It stretches from fender to fender.<br />I thought it was welded in, but it appears to bolt in.<br /><br />The bumper seems to be covered by some kind of plastic cover. I don't know if this is an integral part of it or something you can replace.<br />It's not a major concern, but it would be nice to eventually replace.<br />The fuse box in front of the battery also took a beating. It's OK for now, but I'd like to replace it if possible.<br /><br />I'll know the outcome of who's insurance gets the bill hopefully within a week.<br /><br />As far as shipping stuff, I have a FedEx account you can bill to.<br />You can also have them drop ship them to my job, so large items shouldn't be an issue.<br />The hood might be however. It's big.<br /><br />You can shoot me an e-mail:<br /><br />Homerr999@msn.com<br /><br /><br />Thanks Ryan!!<br /><br /><br />H.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Today was the last day of school, but I'll be going back for a show in a few weeks, I may be able to get some parts then.<br /><br />In the mean time I just talk my a buddy of mine (and autobody shop classmate) he lives next to a junkyard that he hangs around at. He gets parts either free or 75% off. He's going to see of they have a Quest up their.<br /><br />I'll let you know.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Just curious, but what nationality was the driver she hit?

11 footer

Lieutenant

I got five bucks on spanish

Homerr

Commander

Good question Samagee.... I don't know.<br />I'll ask the Wife after she gets back from the doctor.<br /><br /><br />Thanks for checking Ryan.<br />All I really need right now is the headlight so the car is legal at night.<br /><br /><br />I broke out the bailing wire and a spare light bulb for now, but I need the full light housing.<br /><br />H.

Homerr

Commander

Update:<br /><br />The body shop estimate was $1500. Not as much as I thought.<br />When I think body shop, I think big money, as it usually is.<br />Luckily, the frame isn't tweaked.<br /><br />Also, according to the other parties insurance company, the report to them says she did NOT see anyone behind her because my Wife's van was grey and the same color as the asphalt?<br /><br />Doesn't this admit her guilt?<br /><br />Sounds to me like she wasn't paying attention.<br /><br /><br />Oh and... You're right Ryan... Good guess.<br /><br />The person she hit was an Arabic/Spanish breed.<br /><br /><br />H.

11 footer

Lieutenant

About the light, you could call:<br /><br />Hollands Used Auto Parts Inc, 978-667-9235.<br /><br />They may be able to to better on the headlight if the ebay one dosn't work out, they are in MA, I could pick it up and ship it you need be.<br /><br />
Oh and... You're right Ryan... Good guess.<br />The person she hit was an Arabic/Spanish breed.
Guess? That wasn't a guess, I know the spic breed very will, the part about banding on the window was a clear give away, no other type of person would do that.

Trent

Captain

Maybe this will help?<br /> web page