Anyone here with an 85 Force 125 could you please help me?

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced my rectifier but do not know if I hooked up the wires correctly. If possible, would someone mind taking a quick picture with a digital camera so I can see the wiring please?<br /><br />Thank you!!!!!

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anyone here with an 85 Force 125 could you please help me?

tteal, take a look at your rectifier, there should be 4 terminals labeled, AC, AC, +, and -, the - terminal will likely be on the upper left corner, connect the black wire to the - terminal, connect the red wire to the + terminal, then connect one green/yellow wire and the purple wire to the upper right corner AC <br />terminal, then connect the other green/yellow wire to the lower left corner AC terminal. If the green/yellow wires weren't marked when you removed them it doesn't make any difference which one connects to which AC terminal, same for the purple wire, the purple only supplies the AC waveform for the tach and can be connected to either AC terminal. If you still need a picture let me know and I'll take and send one tonight, Good luck. :)

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Slowlysinking,<br /> Thanks for the info!!!! If you don't mind, could you please take a picture by chance? I'm asking because the replacement rectifier that I bought doesn't really show AC +, etc and I'm confused on the mounting and want to ensure that I do this right.<br /><br />Thank you thank you thank you!<br /><br />Tim

SlowlySinking

tteal, it would be easier to send the picture to your e-mail address, okay with you? If so reply with address, Ken

SlowlySinking

tteal, the pictures came out crummy and don't show the detail you need, I just took them and it's after dark, I'll try again tomorrow morning in the sunshine, if you get a chance check the new rectifier, there should be some kind of markings on it near the terminals, let me know what you find, ken

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SlowlySinking,<br /> I looked at the schematic and will try to figure it out. Also, the new rectifier unfortunately only has one place where it has "AC" printed on it which I believe is why I'm so darn confused. Also, the new rectifier the prongs on it are different then the older one that I had on there... weird, huh?<br /><br /> By the way, thank you everyone that is helping me out the pics will hopefully help.

SlowlySinking

tteal, I checked the rectifier in the light of day and one terminal is marked AC, so, mount the unit with the AC terminal in the lower right hand position, then connect one green/yellow wire and the purple wire to the AC terminal, connect the other green/yellow wire to the terminal on the opposite diagonal corner, connect the red wire to the upper right hand corner, and the black wire to the lower left hand corner, I e-mailed the picture. Good luck, Ken

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ken,<br /> Thank you very much, I will look at the rectifier one more time and see. Thanks also for the picture.<br /><br />Tim

SlowlySinking

tteal, my pleasure, hope it solves your problem, Ken :)

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just figured I've post up a status. I ended up putting some muffs on the engine, re-wiring the rectifier and walla presto, it fired and ran just fine. I started and stopped the engine a few times and it was running a little rough. Pulled the plugs and put new ones' in there (NGK's).<br /><br />I'm still having a little trouble with the tach (think it's defective) and will replace it.<br /><br />Big thanks to everyone that helped me out with teh pics and everything else!!!! Thank you!!!!<br /><br />While I'm thinking of it, is there an easy way to adjust these carbs? If I screw the carbs all the way down (clockwise), how many turns should I be going counter-clockwise? Any advise would be great right now.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /> Tim

SlowlySinking

tteal, great, real glad it worked and your engine is running, Ken :)

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Marine Doctor,<br /> Thank you again for your help and I'm sure everyone here appreciates it.<br /><br />Ken,<br /> Thanks... it was music to my ears to hear this engine running again --- now if only the weather would cooperate I can get it back out on the bay :)

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By the way TMD, is there one spark plug that you feel is better then another? I changed from the Chamption plugs (can't remember the designator) to the NGK's. It also suprised me that you can't change the gap :) That was new to me and you should have seen my face when I looked at them ---- priceless. Keep in mind that I'm used to working on my race car hahahahaha....

The Marine Doctor

Commander

I believe that all Merc products now come with NGK spark plugs...I do not know if Mercury does this from a price point or because the feel they are better.<br /><br />On the other hand..whenever I attend school..all the Tech's preach NGK.<br /><br />At our shop, we use both.<br /><br />TMD