Anyone here ever been to Baseball Hall of Fame?

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm going to take the 3 boys up for a day or so next week. By next year, 2 of them won't want to be seen in public with the old man, so it better be now.<br /><br />Just checking here to see if you all have any advice, besides bring money.<br /><br />Jinx

one more cast

Captain
Re: Anyone here ever been to Baseball Hall of Fame?

I've been by Cooperstown before but never stopped at the Baseball hall of fame.

Realgun

Commander

No never will. I like to play basball but to watch it is... just put me outa my misery.

gaugeguy

Captain

Never been to it, but am planning a trip this summer and may hit it on the way home.<br /><br />I have been to the hockey hall of fame in Toronto, and that was awesome.

oddjob

Commander

I've never been there either.....<br /><br />Pete (Charlie Hustle)<br /><br /> ;)

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Went several times as a kid in the 50's & 60's. Had a chance to go a couple of years ago. Could have spent a week there. I love the game and the history of the game. It felt kinda weird seeing events commemorated in a museum that I could remember first hand. LF also enjoys baseball and I think it was her first trip to the HOF. She really enjoyed it. The HOF itself isn't that expensive but the street is lined with shops that are out to make sure you don't leave town with more than change in your pocket.<br />Have fun.

LadyFish

Admiral

Two of my favorite things are the plaque right next to Ty Cobb is my Great Uncle's Gabby Hartnett and the shopping. <br /><br />There are great shops and restaurants on the quaint little streets that surround the Hall of Fame. Glimmerglass lake is just a stone's throw from it and plenty of beautiful B&B's in the area too.<br /><br />We only spent the day but quite honestly could have spent several taking it all in. The displays of uniforms from way back when totally facinated me. They were like suits of armor. How they ever played ball in them amazes me.<br /><br />Enjoy your visit there, I know its one I will always remember.

tylerin

Commander

Took 14 boys there in 03, Played in a US boys Tournament just outside Cooperstown. What amazed me the most (Cincy born and raised) was Pete Rose memorabelia is all over the Hall yet he is banned from it. Also was the Jackie Robinson baseball cap lined with metal to fend off beam balls to his head

TilliamWe

Banned

I was there in the summer of 1980 to Donald Edwin Snyder inducted. I don't remember much about it, I was 8! My mom says that Roy Campanella said "hi" to me as I walked past his chair.<br />Mom is a huge Brooklyn Dodgers fan, and Duke was her favorite. At the time I had never heard of him, now I know just how good he was.<br />I kinda remember it being a real small town, with nothing around it. I am sure we didn't spend the night there, my grandmother lived in Upstate.<br />Take pictures for us!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Excellent museum. My sons and I have done it twice. Mrs NYM enjoyed it too.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lived just a few miles north of town 20+yrs. I hated the people that live there stuck up types. But if your just going to see some baseball stuff and get some food etc... you'll have a good time. It is a busy place and expensive so if possible take your own soda, water, etc... Also don't forget the weather up here can change in a minute 80 now but in 5min. could be 60. Bring a light coat or sweater just in case.

FLATHEAD

Captain

If your a true BB fan you'll love the place. Heck it aint no more expensive than any other tourist trap. <br /><br />Hey 20/20 I fished that area quite a bit. Some great streams and lakes I have to say,, and under fished to say the least. I could spend a whole day out pullin in all kinds of fins and not see another person.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies, I just got in to read them.<br /><br />Blasted pressure tank at my mother's house was hung from the floor joists for some reason years ago and parted company last night. Thing fell 3 feet and split open like a ripe melon and destroyed the core plumbing and filled the crawl space with water.<br /><br />Lord, I'm tired after wrestling with that.<br /><br />Jinx

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FlatHead, You are correct oaks creek river is one that I spent many of hrs/days on. the local lakes do have some great fishing. Your also correct if he likes BB he will have a good time. If his kids are into BB they'll probably want to go hang out at one of the "field of dreams" areas. There is also alot to do in out lying ares fun parks etc...

cjones4@hvc.rr.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do it! My grandparents took me there when I was a kid (about 30 some years ago) and I still cherish the memory. I went back a few years ago to see Tom Seaver inducted but didn't make it to the actual HOF that day (they hold induction ceremony offsite).Your kids will enjoy it.