Anyone have a Garmin Etrex GPS?

AcousticTX

Cadet
Hi all, I just got a nice map of the local lake (lake conroe in TX) with a GPS grid. I have a Garmin Etrex I bought a while back but have never really used, does anyone else have one? How have they performed when out? <br /><br />Thanks in advance!

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Anyone have a Garmin Etrex GPS?

AcousticTx...mine performs as advertised...I don't know what you want but it does what Garmin says it will do and I like mine and use it...just a Thought

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have Garmin GPSMAP76 WAAS enabled and it works great will get you to within 20 feet.

tjthorson

Seaman

I have a Garmin etrex legend (blue one) and have downloaded the "US waterways" maps into it for my area. It works awesome, and best accuracy I have ever seen is 7 feet when tracking a bunch of satellites, including WAAS.<br /><br />The map source CDs are pretty pricey, IMHO though....

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I use Garmin E-trex vista (no maps). Use it a lot. Love it. Wish I paid out for one with maps though. Got accuracy to within 3 ft. with WAAS. Use it to backtrack in the dark alot. I lay in the track along the channels I have to follow to get safely home and follow that line. Use it in the car and canoe quite a bit too.<br /><br />(keep spare batteries along)

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have one that I bought when they originally came out. It is small, simple and a great entry level gps as well as an every day navigation tool. It will guide you around the world if you want. Basic and reliable. <br /><br />Negatives:<br />Batteries don't seem to last as long as I like and when they get low the gps will shut down causing you to lose your track until you install new batteries. <br />I use the plug in 12V adapter while in the pilot house on the big boat but some times lose the signal or have a hard time acquiring satellites on start up due to being under a cover. I have to go outside to acquire and then it works fine inside close to the windows.<br /><br />I use it along with a Garmin 215 Chartplotter for extended trips and it makes a great redundant system should the plotter fail.<br /><br />I use it alone on the 15' Silverline when piloting the marshes on the Georgia coast to find my way in and out.<br /><br />For the money.....Super!