Anyone have a 2004 Chaparrel Sunestra 236 w/ Volvo 5.0?

Geardaddy

Cadet
Curious to know if any of you have this boat? Looking at buying one and am a bit concerned about the fact that it has the lowest HP engine that was offered that year.. Will want to ski/wakeboard, with several 4-5 adults on the boat plus a few kids.. Looks like I can get a similar priced Sea Ray with 300-320hp, dual prop, etc..

How does this engine perform under a load?

Thanks!

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Anyone have a 2004 Chaparrel Sunestra 236 w/ Volvo 5.0?

a bit concerned about the fact that it has the lowest HP engine that was offered that year..
sorry. don't know yer boat. but i think i'd be concerned too. that's a pretty big boat with a lot of capacity for extra weight.
Looks like I can get a similar priced Sea Ray with 300-320hp, dual prop
that sounds better for your intended use to me....... it'd sure be a drag if ya couldn't get yer skiier up for lack of hp and many peoples onboard on a big boat....

check out how many theads there is on this forum too that are asking about increaseing hp on their boat...... lot's of them..... no one is useually asking if they can put a smaller engine in.... usually.... good luck on what you decide....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have a Chris Craft 230 deckboat, which is similar to the sunestra. 5.7 VP sx drive, wonderful performing boat, even with 11 on board, capacity 13. we are all adults also. proper trim make getting out of hole with a load much easier. smart tabs will help you get out of the hole also.

Geardaddy

Cadet

Ok.. this boat has a 5.0.. No trim tabs of any kind...The dealer say the boat is designed so that it doesn't need them?

Is the 5.7L a 300 or 320HP?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

depend on whether it is carbed of injected, mine is carb, 290hp. smart tab will help the performance of any boat. most dealer salesmen don't know carp about what they are selling. you can do smart tabs for less than $200.

here is an explanation of Smart Tabs so you have better understanding of what the are and what they do. this is from the invertor of smart tabs. and they stand 100% behind their product.

Jdeagro ON HYDROFOILS AND TABS

You will not hear me say much good about hydrofoils as a simple "slap it on and go" product and that is not because we make Smart Tabs. As Dale said they are or should be used as a tool to accomplish specific results in combination with other items, adjustments etc. Hydrofoil technology is valid and proven, but to gain the results you are looking for, you need to design it into the overall picture. If not you will get improvements in one area and deterioration in another. Why? Because the devise is fixed, rigid, non adjustable. When Dale raced the combination of the hydrofoil, the prop, the engine height etc. where all part of the whole picture.

For the everyday boater who is looking for overall improvements in planing, ride, handling, speed, and fuel economy trim tabs are a better solution. Why?
Because they are adjustable. They change the shape of the hull as required, and the hull dictates the overall performance even more than the power plant.

If you only want to help get the boat up on plain, the hydrofoil will be of some assistance, but you will compromise other areas of performance.

Dale is absolutely correct, hydrofoils are a tool that will help you achieve specific results when used in conjunction with other items.

more info here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=236795