Anyone ever salvaged a boat

morpheus847

Cadet
Asking this question because at my local pond there is very few people who fish there. Ok there is this old fiberglass boat that has been sitting up there for about 6 or 7 months. Ok now i wouldn't think that anyone would have abandoned this boat because it was tied to the bank but from the looks of it it has been hulled out no steering wheel, controls just a hull pretty much. Also it's been sitting so long that rain has filled the hull and the front end is now under water, algae growing in it and everything. Wanting some thoughts of yours on this. No im not a theif or a stealer. So i haven't messed with it. But if it's been abandoned i think it's fair game. Oh yeah asked people about it that's fished the pond and they know nothing about it either. Try not to flame me to bad just looking for a little insight

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Anyone ever salvaged a boat

there are laws about salvaging. saw them today on uscg site. if the boat has registration number on it, take them to the tax collectors office, find the owner, and try to get the title. this would cut down on registration head aches later. if the boats, been stripped, and submerged as long as you say, the foam is toast, and the stringers are probably going. at least it would be nice to get it out of the lake.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Rotten wood would be my concern if the paper work is (could be gotten) in order.

Besides, mildew and algie are tough to get rid of and have a reasonable looking surface after their removal.....if you can get rid of them.

Mark

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you just want to float on something to go fishing and put very little money in it, could be worthwhile. It's going to be expensive to make truly seasworthy.

Bondo

Staff member

That's what I've always know as a "Pond Boat"........

Many little ponds have a boat laying around the banks,.. Left by Somebody who likes to fish there,.. But doesn't want to carry the boat every time,....
The Reason that "Pond Boats" are in such Terrible condition is,.........
If they were Nice Boats,....... Somebody would Steal it......

Trust Me,.............

That boat Belongs to Somebody.......................

D

DJ

I think I would start with talking to the owner of the pond.

If it's public, as mentioned, look for registration numbers or a Hull ID #. (HID). The HID would be on the right (starboard) side of transom. The state should be able to track a HID.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

If the boat is tied or anchored it is not fair game. Like Bond-o said "It belongs to sombody", either an individual owner or possibly even an insurance company that paid a loss claim. The parts missing off the baot were most likely stolen and if you take the boat you will then possess what is left of a stolen/looted boat.