Anyone ever do a POKER RUN

dwci97

Seaman
I was just wondering if anyone here has been involved with a Poker Run. They are becoming more popular and not just for the big offshore powerboats anymore. I was thinking of maybe entering one and wondered if anyone had any advice or stories to tell...

mattttt25

Commander
Re: Anyone ever do a POKER RUN

ran my first about 3 weeks ago. lots of fun. i'm a member of the chesapeake bay power boat association (www.cbpba.com), which runs several throughout the year. most are geared towards the go-fast crowd, but they ran one for "slow" boats that i participated in. great way to get out on the water, explore new places, and meet lots of new people. our organization requires proof of insurance before you run, but that's about it. alcohol is prohibited until the end. usually a entry fee, which turns into the prize money for best/worst hands. usually ends with a good dinner at the last stop.

phatmanmike

Captain

mattttttttttttt, you say "slow" boats. could you elaborate a lil bit on this for some of us"non -educated folks" :) we all know you are a commisioned officer(read: educated)..... just playing :p <br /><br />but seriously, what type of boat did you run and what types where running with you?<br /><br />m ikey

Sivart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ran in one on Memorial Weekend. There were a lot of the big speed boats but very few of them could just walk off and leave me in my XP200.<br />Not the fastest thing on the water but sure isnt the slowest. Thanks to all who gave advise when I asked for it. I am very proud of this boat. Didnt win anything on the poker run but it was a blast.<br />I got to proove that just because its a 19 footer doesnt mean it will not run.

mattttt25

Commander

mike- i ran my 20' center console around the chesapeake bay for about 3 hours in a moderate 1' chop. hit 5 stops. i was in the "slow" group that consisted of non-performance boats- cruisers, large cuddies, etc. we ran about 30 mph the whole time. i still got beat up a bit, but wasn't bad. the other wakes caused most of the problems.<br /><br />the other group was made up of pure go-fasts, ranging in size from 28' - 43'. they ran a longer course at about 55 mph the whole way. with the way conditions are on the bay, without a performace boat, you couldn't keep up.<br /><br />like i said, good fun. met new people and spent the day on my boat. any more questions, let me know.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

We have been in a few poker runs.<br />They can be a LOT a fun......<br /> <br />Some of them are solely geared to the off shore boats, others offer several "classes" or speeds and some of them (especially on the small shallow lakes) anything with a motor is welcome. Best thing to do is call the promoters and ask what type of run it is and inquire if your type and speed of running would be a good match. <br /><br />Be prepared for a LOT of fun and good times....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yeah. Just what is a poker run?<br /><br />I have heard and read about them in cars as well as boats, but haven't a clue what they are.

JB

I don't want to read about schedules and results. I want to know what the heck happens.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Basicly, you run to certain check points and you get to draw a playing card at each of the checkpoints.. At the end of the run, the boater, biker, hot rodder, or whatever, who has the best poker hand wins..<br /><br />Never done a poker run.. The idea of handling my single inboard around tight boat traffic does'nt strike me as fun, but if it were for a good cause and it was for us "slow boaters" who cruise at 20 knots or so, could be a fun time I suppose..

Dunaruna

Admiral

Maybe they need a 'family boat' category.<br /><br />Sounds like fun. Thanks for the info.<br /><br />Aldo

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

We used to do poker runs in Duluth, MN, on snowmobiles in the middle of January. Think I'd rather do them in summer on the water!

JB

Thanks, Snapperbait.<br /><br />Now I understand. Sounds like fun. :)

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

We used to ride along on a friends go fast boat poker run he did every year. We would ride to the Hilton hotel in Clear Lake on Fri. for the captain's meeting and dinner. Spend the night and start the run from there on Sat. morning. Spend the day going to several resturant/bar/marina spots around the Boliver penninsula and Galveston Island. Return to the Hilton, shower, eat and party til the wee hours. Crash then head home on Sun. It was a lot of fun but very expensive with the go-fast, gold necklass, silicone crowd.<br /><br />Last year we entered our boat in a poker run to raise funds for a sailing academy here on the island. It all took place in one day. We went to 5 or 6 stops around the island. It wasn't a race and we had all day to get to the final stop for a party and awards deal. Much cheaper, a lot of fun and a whole lot safer than running 60 - 80 mph in the middle of a pack of go-fasts driven by rich weekend maniacs. I think we'll do it again this year.