Anyone else notice...

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
Large businesses, LLCs, whatever, buying up marinas nation wide? Our other boat is a 33' wellcraft coastal. We wet dock and dry dock at what was a reasonable marina and you were allowed to do your own work. Over the last couple years, a large company has been buying up any marina worth buying all around the country and ours is the latest acquisition Under the new rules you are essentially allowed to do nothing, no waxing, bottom paint, maintenance, heck even they have their own washing service, etc. Which bothers me. They doubled the rates upon purchase making the place not remotely worth the premium and the crowd they seem to want to attract is business men who use the thing two or three times a year. The new rules also shorten our season to april-october which is sucks, we fish... best fishing is november and march around here for what I enjoy and that bothers me too. I want to move somewhere else but like I said, anything decent they own for the most part or the same rules are in effect. The interesting thing is they offset the cost of your slip if you refuse the service and go somewhere else to have it done, by more than it would cost to just let them do it which is the only thing that I think is kind of a bad look. But again... they can do what they want because people pay it.

I guess I am just venting but I have seen this trend coming just from the Freedom boating people alone. (Don't get me started on the property damage caused by that one since they've been there) and just don't really like the trend the industry is moving in. Like everything else, it really seems like the average guy is being forced out of everything. And don't get me wrong, I'm not against it by any means. Business is business. But when your primary goal is just have a marina that is full, regardless of use, that's kind of missing the point.

Sorry to whine about it. It's just frustrating. I am going to be looking for somewhere new because they allegedly plan to jack the rates again next year...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed----Here in ONTARIO there is one " outfit " buying up big marinas.------I believe they are investors only.------Many marinas were built on worthless land 40 years ago or more.-----These properties are now worth more as development land for condos / timeshares.-----And they are going to raise dockage rates as a group eliminating fair competition.