Anybody trailering with an 08 Ford Escape?

cthoms

Cadet
Hi,

I was considering upgrading vehicles from an 99 Blazer to an 08 Escape 4WD 6 cyl, but then saw that the hitch rates on the Escape seem worse compared to my old Blazer. Anybody have any experience? (Trailering a 17' boat in and out of the water, and some over the road trailering.) (boat itself 1700lbs plus motor & trailer)

Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Anybody trailering with an 08 Ford Escape?

This is such a basic question! I don't understand at all why people keep asking it.

What is the tow rating of the vehicle AS EQUIPPED??? If it is not more than the weight of the load forget it.

Your load will weigh around 2500-2700lb. The tow rating of Escapes varies all over the map, but I don't think it gets to 3,000lb, which should be the minimum for that load.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

That and the short wheelbase of the Escape......Not a good tow vehicle.

iBrent

Seaman

A Ford Escape with the V6 and *TOW PACKAGE* is rated for 3500, the full capacity of a class II. I have an '02 Escape with V6/Tow package and have only towed uHaul trailers. I am much more comfortable towing with my Explorer, but uHaul sucks and won't rent to Explorers.

That being said, the Escape is a very capable tow vehicle for loads less than rated capacity.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For whatever it is worth, Consumer Reports, in thier last review of the 2009 Escape, towed a 3500 pound trailer with that vehicle and gave it good reports for towing. I don't recall all the details, but you can find them in the library.

TerryMSU

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

With the Escape curb weight of 3272 pounds no way i would tow 3500 pounds with it.
Yea,It will pull it but no way in 'ell it will stop it!
Can you say white knuckles?:eek:
I have been pushed through an intersection on wet roads by a heavy trailer pulled by a Dodge Ram 3500......not fun!

These little SUV vehicles are just not made to tow.Too short and too light of a vehicle.They may be fine for a small U-Haul trailer or aluminum boat but that is all i would feel comfortable towing.

Fishing56

Seaman

A Ford Escape with the V6 and *TOW PACKAGE* is rated for 3500, the full capacity of a class II. I have an '02 Escape with V6/Tow package and have only towed uHaul trailers. I am much more comfortable towing with my Explorer, but uHaul sucks and won't rent to Explorers.

That being said, the Escape is a very capable tow vehicle for loads less than rated capacity.

Got around the problem with Uhaul. I have a 2004 EB explorer v8. Has the third row seating etc. Just took off the two explorer insignia, went to uhaul and when asked by the counter girl what vehicle I had, just told her it was a 2004 expedition. Worked like a charm!

Fishing56

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I stand corrected. There is a configuration that is rated for 3500lb that would be "safe" to tow your load.

I put "safe" in quotes because of the short wheelbase and light weight of the Escape. Though safe, I doubt that it would be easy to control, even with brakes on the trailer.

I have driven a '05 Escape V6 AWD and found it pleasant to drive and comfortable. I don't think I would want to tow a 2500+ load with it.

koko1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got around the problem with Uhaul. I have a 2004 EB explorer v8. Has the third row seating etc. Just took off the two explorer insignia, went to uhaul and when asked by the counter girl what vehicle I had, just told her it was a 2004 expedition. Worked like a charm!

Fishing56

Our of curiosity, what is the problem renting a Uhaul if you drive an explorer?

Fishing56

Seaman

Didn't mean to hog in on thread. U-haul has an unsettled lawsuit with the Explorer relating to the Firestone tire problem. Not sure of the details, just that it is in litigation.

Fishing56

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have towed with my mothers v6 escape with the tow package. It towed great. I was kinda surprised. I was expecting it to be slow off the line and slow to stop. But with 2K behind it it did great.

Pontuned

Seaman Apprentice

Would any of you haul your boat with a Mazda 626?

The Escape has the same transmission. They have definitely stretched the definition of SUV with an Escape IMO.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Escape has the same transmission.

The pre 08 escapes use the same transmission as the 626 the 08+ do not.

Besides there is much more to towing than transmission. The old Merc Cougar and F150 use the same transmission is the F150 a bad tow vehicle?

F14CRAZY

Ensign

The Escape has the same transmission. They have definitely stretched the definition of SUV with an Escape IMO.

An '08 V6 would have a six speed auto...definitely not a 626 trans

Pontuned

Seaman Apprentice

The pre 08 escapes use the same transmission as the 626 the 08+ do not. ?
I stand corrected.....kinda. I tried to remember if it was '07 or '08 that was the last of the CD4E years. Even with the newer drivetrain it is hardly a workhorse. You are right, there is much more to towing than a tranny and when you factor in the short wheelbase and small brakes on those vehicles they are poor choices for towing IMO.

Besides there is much more to towing than transmission. The old Merc Cougar and F150 use the same transmission is the F150 a bad tow vehicle?

The AODE tranny you are referring to is a fairly strong transmission They used it in many 6 and 8 cylinder RWD apps, including Crown Vic police interceptors. A CD4E is a far cry from an AODE and a Escape is a far cry from an F-150.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are right, there is much more to towing than a tranny and when you factor in the short wheelbase and small brakes on those vehicles they are poor choices for towing IMO.

Yes its not a half ton, but it will do a fine job towing a smaller boat to the lake. The 4wd will pull you out of the water on a slick ramp. Heck the Fwd does a good job at it.

cthoms

Cadet

Thanks for all the responses. I live at the lake where I do all of my boating so it looks like trailering with the Escape won't be an issue.

Sorry if the original question was lame Mr. moderator. I've never had to ask the question before and didn't really know how to ask it or where to look for data.

I do now.

Check me on this general rule of thumb though.

Every vehicle has a towing capacity... as long as the load doesn't exceed 75% of the towing capacity it is safe to tow.

Ironpig

Seaman

If you're gonna do it, put a tranny cooler on the escape before attempting it. The company I work for has 35 2009 Escapes sitting in the yard waiting for new trannys. They are not a stout vehicle on their own, add a trailer and a boat and I'll bet the tranny fails.

iBrent

Seaman

Fishing56

Nice. I've also heard of people putting Mercury badges over the Ford oval and saying it's a Mountaineer.