Anybody have experience with a trolling plate?

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1999 23' Rinker Captiva open bow with a 350 I/O (250hp) and a Bravo3 drive (the counter rotating dual prop), it makes for great fun on the family boating front, but I am a meat fishing guy(usually Perch) that is trying to figure out the best way to get my boat to be able to troll down in the 1.0-1.5 mph range to use crawler harnesses on walleye, without adding a kicker motor. I have tried the two giant drift anchors and buckets to no avail (can only get down to about 2.5mph). Was wondering if anybody has had a good result getting down to 1.0-1.5mph using a trolling plate devise like the "Happy Troller, Easy Troller, Hydro Troll" on a boat my size and drive?

Thanks
Steve

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Anybody have experience with a trolling plate?

You'll probably hate the thing and if you don't tear it up you'll end up taking it off, most of the folks I know that have used them weren't happy with them... but it may work for you.

Have you considered a higher end electric trolling motor? Like a Motorguide Wireless or Minnkota I Pilot? I have the Motorguide Wireless on my 17' deep V and love it, I can steer and control the speed from anywhere in the boat with the remote control key fob. I have the 55 lb. thrust and the speed is variable from 0-2.2 mph in about 23 clicks. I do a lot of trolling for Crappie at 0.9-1.5 mph and can troll for 2 days on a single 12 V battery charge. You'll want the bigger 24V 75 lb. thrust for your boat, but it should do well for 1-1.5 mph.

brenty99

Cadet

i had one and it was just a pain. I gained 8 mph after i took it off and the boat rides so much better. It wasnt worth it

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

My EasyTroller fell apart after very little use. It worked well when I used it though.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I have been using a spring-loaded "automatic" trolling plate for several years now. I have a piece of parachute cord tied off to it to keep it up as it interferes with backing; only "release" it when I am needing to be slowing down. Yes, it does effect top speed some, but only 1-2 MPH at 3/4 throttle. Full throttle I did lose about 4mph but I never run WOT since it uses twice the gas and a lot more oil for only about 4-5mph different. When I am fishing I usually only run 24-ish mph to save gas as the few minutes are not that important and most long runs are 4-6 miles for me.

Anyway, I think they work well and if you troll a lot can be essential. I troll for walleye with an electric as it does well up to 1.8-ish mph and I can troll 5 or 6 hours with only about 60cents to recharge. 5 hours running the 40 horse can use 5 gallons or more with the trolling plate down and sometimes I am still too fast for Walleye. So electric makes sense.

Salmon fishing, however, is where the trolling plate does its work. Early in the season when I need to be 2mph or even later for 2.4 mph it does the trick. Downrigger balls can slow me down enough to troll at 2.8mph to 3.2 mph and the motor runs about 2.9 - 3.2 mph at idle w/o riggers or plate down.

FWIW

brenty99

Cadet

Yeah I just have a 15 hp. I was doing 14 down river with my buddy. Now 21-22 with my buddy and the plate off

fishrdan

Admiral

I use a Troll-a-Matic (spring loaded) on a 140HP Mercruiser and it slows the boat to 1-1.5 MPH. I fish a lot, so I'll put up with it's drawbacks, slower top-end, reduced steering control. Since it's spring loaded, increased engine thrust will push it up, so this type might get deflected a lot with a V8. When I'm trolling it's flipped up about 45* instead of being straight down, in it's resting position.

I have a piece of parachute cord tied off to it to keep it up

Have any pics of how you have that rigged?

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update......

I installed a Happy Troller (large) yesterday and I have to say it works rather well, I was able to get down to the range I was hoping for and even caught some treasured Walleyes today
:)