Anybody have a Crestliner Sabre?

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer
Just wondering if anybody has or has had one of these boats? I'm going to look at an '89 24-foot model with an outboard, and just wondering how these boats handle in rough water? It's got a 300 h.p. Evinrude on it, and I'm also kind of curious about what top speed to expect? Any negatives or issues with these particular boats I should look out for? Thanks!

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Anybody have a Crestliner Sabre?

I looked at the 24 foot one when they were still sold by Crestliner. I fell in love with the hull. Should be a great rideing dry ride. Deep V entry and dead rise at the stern about right. Also reverse chims for a dry ride and not too much rolling. <br /><br />Things I did not like out weigh my likes. First the sides have very little support. Just leaning against the side seems very weak, and that day when you dock and the wind is blowing 30 knots on to the dock will the side support the impact from the fender hitting the dock.<br /><br />The one I checked had 3 live wells but zero storage. I guess you can throw everytings up in the cab. There is just no place for your tool box, life jackets, first aid kit, fishing rods, tackel boxes, Landing net, Gaf, second anchore, sea anchor, line for towing or tieing to shore, fenders, spotlights, boat hook, anchor buoy, Food, ice chest, towles to dry the boat, dry close bag in case some one fall over board, Charts. Also the gear you bring on for the day, movie camera.s, digital camera's, Lady's purse, Extra Jacket, Hat, Gloves.<br /><br />We just like everything put away in it place and the floor clean but on the Saber we checked had had Zero floor storage, Zero Lockers, only place to store anything was up front in the cab or behind the portapotty.<br /><br />I was ready to buy when I checked the hull from the out side except for the weak side but could not stand the inside.<br /><br />I do not think you can find a better hull design in a Aluminum boat. With 300HP I would expect 45 plus.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the feedback, Boatist. I went and looked at the boat this weekend and it needed a ton of work (not what I expected!). It needs most/all of the floorboards replaced, plus a bunch of cosmetic work (no big deal to me, but it is to my wife!). Looked like a great fishing platform, but I don't think it had any livewells, and not real sure about the rest of the storage situation - probably not far from what you described though. Still considering it, that is if that big old engine checks out and if he lowers his price a bit! By the way, you said "when they were still sold by Crestliner" - who sells'em now?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Who sells it now? Well no one sell it now. When Crestliner was taken over they no longer sell any V hulls over 21 feet 11 inches.<br /><br /> http://www.crestliner.com/boat_info/boat_model.asp?TID=97&BID=31 <br /><br /> http://www.crestliner.com/boat_info/boat_model.asp?TID=97&BID=29 <br /><br />Crestliner does not even sell a closed bow V hull anymore. Also nothing with a hard cabin. Pretty much open bow fish and ski is all they have.<br /><br />The floor can be rotted but the hull and stringers should be great as all Aluminum. The hull it self if used in salt water look for any piting also any dents.<br /><br />Crestliner hulls stand up great. I have a 1980 model and use it 50 percent saltwater in the Pacific Ocean for fishing. The hull is the same as the day it was new, except the paint on the sunny side is a little fadded. Mine is 21 foot but only 92 inches wide. Mine does have a place to put all the Gear I mentioned but has no built in live well yet.<br /><br />Rough water ride of my Crestliner is like most aluminum boats, very stable but since it is light will tend to go over big swells instead of thru, you must slow down. The 24 foot Saber has a deeper V than my Crestliner and more dead rise. Also a bigger reverse chime. All thing that make it a smoother and dryer ride.<br /><br />If it helps you My 21 foot Crestliner Runabout with closed bow and a soft top we fish 4 or sometimes 5 people out of, Better with 4. Limit we set for my boat is if seas are over 8 feet or closer together than 8 seconds we do not launch. We are lucky as area we fish the most has a Waverider buoy 12 miles out from our launch location and conditions are reported about every 2 hours by national weather service. <br /><br />Worst conditions we have been out in was 9 foot every 6 seconds and a confused sea, winds 37 knots with gust to 44 , 2 foot whitcaps on most waves not a nice ride, Wife Starting to get sick and everyone tired from fighting the rock and roll. Still back of the boat wet from spray but not a drop of water in the bilge. My boat has Bennett Trim Tabs I installed and it does really help keep a nice riding angle for any speed safe to run.<br /><br />The Saber 24 for me and the Wife was a true LOVE HATE relationship. Loved the hull Hated the Inside.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Is your '80 a Phantom or similar style (not sure the years they made those)? I came close to buying a 21' Phantom last spring. Truthfully, a walk-through boat like that would probably be a better choice for me, then I would just sell my '91 Alumacraft 185CS (side console walleye boat). That Sabre hull looked very straight, and I only saw one small (1.5" or so) dent in the bottom. He told me it is the 245GL model, which was intended for an I/O. It was set up at a marina with a bracket (Gil Marine?) for the 300XP Evinrude. It also has hydraulic trim tabs. Another thing is that I need to figure out how that hardtop is attached, as it would need to come off for it to fit through one of my 9' tall overhead doors on my pole barn for winter storage.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

My 1980 model is a Crestliner Nordic with a closed bow and walk thru windsheild. Every year people still ask me where I bought it. I tell them then let them know it is a 1980 model and not made anymore. Then they go crazy and can not belive it is that old. Mine is an I/O and that is what I prefer.<br /><br />I still check for the 24 foot Saber I/O. At this point I would concider building my own inside. I really like the hull 24 feet and 102 inches wide. Deeper V than my boat and 3 feet longer so would use more fuel but ride better. I think the cab is welded on so probable easier to drop your hitch or raise your door than remove the cab.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Your Nordic sounds like a great setup! Since I would be re-flooring the boat, I could build some storage into it like you said. That hardtop looked to be fiberglass. If you say it's welded on, maybe it has some sort of metal frame that the fiberglass attaches to? Anyways, I will be taking a closer look at that this weekend. I don't think raising my door is an option, as my trusses sit 10' atop the walls and both of my doors are 10' wide x 9' tall overhead doors. Maybe I should just hook you up with this guy and then buy your Nordic. . . . just kidding, it is the I/O model you are looking for, but has the outboard on it. Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

It has been a long time since I last saw one since it had not been maid for a number of years. I though the cab was almumium and wood. Thinking about it just remember one other thing I did not like about the helm area. As I recall the hard top was about 7 feet high where it would catch a lot of wind. Area I boat offshore get a lot of wind allmost every after noon all summer long. <br /><br />The nordic has a large fish locker in the floor with room under the removable fish tray. This is area I keep my sea anchor and all the heavy line I use for towing. Towing bridle there also and extra anchore line should I ever need over 300 feet. Has another large floor locker in front of that where I keep two anchor chain and anchor lines. Also keep throwable life ring and type 4 life cushions in there.<br /><br />Even if I found a Saber I would keep my boat. Also I would not buy outboard for main engine as I just perfer I/O.<br /><br />If I had to replace the floor I would put large floor storage in the center of the floor and also on both side a hatch for a rod locker and gear storage. Any area not used for stroage would fill with closed cell foam for level floatation.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

I'll check it out again hopefully this weekend, but I think the cab may have been fiberglass if I remember correctly. I guess there are a lot of "ifs" with this rig for me. First, the engine has to check out. It's supposedly got 40 hours or less on it, due to health problems with the owners. But, a lot can still go wrong with a 16-year old outboard if it hasn't been properly stored/maintained! Secondly, I have to figure out a way to deal with that hardtop to get it into my barn. Probably would modify it somehow for easy removal. . . I don't really like the looks of how it is currently set up anyways! If all this comes together and I can get it for a reasonable price, I'm thinking with some work I coudl turn it into quite a fishing machine!