Any Turtle Farmers? Building A Terrarium

ndemge

Commander
4yo boy now has 2 pet turtles. Bro-in-law brought one by last week, then my brother though he should have a 2nd one. <br /><br />I took some plexi glass and made them a small cage, put in some bark and though great, they have a place to live.<br /><br />Then I started reasearching turtles, and they way they are, they will die....<br /><br />well, I kinda like the little kritters, so I'm going to build a terrarium. <br /><br />Anyone else out there have any tips on what to add?<br /><br />From what I've read, features it needs to have:<br />UVB light about 12-14 hours a day to simulate day/night<br />high himidity, getting a heat rock 3-4" of dirt/bark and a shallow pool

SCO

Lieutenant
Re: Any Turtle Farmers? Building A Terrarium

My son has 2 snakes, a lizzard, tadpoles almost frogs. You can get UV lights at the pet stores. I guess you cant use natural UV because glass filters it. I wonder if plexiglass also filters it. You need plenty of plants to make oxygen from CO2 and the turtles and microbes in the soil of course use the O2, and the rain will come down from the top plexiglass. Id put a thermometer in to insure perfect temperature. Just saying what I am sure you already know. We also have an aquarium, a great addition, and there we keep fish alive for the snakes. Do these turtles eat fish? Probably not. I bet snapping turtles are the only ones that can catch fish (with tounge lure). If you have sliders, garter snakes might be a good addition to the terrarium because garters also like the water.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

What type of turtle(s)? size?

ndemge

Commander

three-Toed Box Turtles.... Here in MO<br /><br />one is about 4" other is about 5"<br /><br /><br />...The glass filters out the UV that they need, so light needs to be under the lid, I'm using plexi over ply for the sides and back, will just attach to the back wall...<br /><br />So a mostly solid lid? ..assuming they need some type of ventilation or they will just sufficate, doubt plants can keep up with turtle co2 produciton

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Kept an infant alligator snapper one summer. Called it Atilla.<br /><br />Shallow large bowl, rocks for it to climb on and water to swim.<br /><br />Fed it bacon and various insects. Even at the diameter of a silver dollar they are impressive and ferocious.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

1st check your state laws, their protected here.<br /><br />The best if possible whould be an outdoor 'pen' that provides protection from preditors. If indoors you have to provide the right temp. zones and duplicate natural sunlight and then food/water. screen cover whould be best if you need to cover them. They don't need a pool for water, they get most of their water from what they eat. They can drown if the water is to deep. Also the size of container is important for healthy life.

ndemge

Commander

Bigfun, <br />This is exactly what I'm doing...<br /><br />Been doing a lot of reading to do it right. I'm not going to keep an animal if it's not going to be taken care of.<br /><br />scetching out a few different designs right now. Looking on ebay for all the parts I need, thermometers, hydromoters, thermostats for the warm and cool side etc... ther's a lot to doing it right.<br /><br />from what I've read, 40 gallon min... I'm making this thing about 200 gallon to go along the wall of the basement.<br /><br />trying to find what other animals need the same type of enviroment and will live in peace together to see what all I can have in there.<br /><br />even thinking of having a built in "removable" aquarium, would be cool to see a turtle hop in with a few gold fish and go for a swim (with a "boat ramp" entrance/exit to the water area... but removable from the rest of the tank for periodic cleaning as debris will be tracked in.<br /><br />might have to go vist the ole pet store in town, that guy know's his reptiles

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

We had a box turtle my daughter rescued from the highway. Our house had an atrium about ten feet square. Put in a small pool (puddle, really) but never saw him in it. We fed him all kinds of fruit & veggies. He seemed to like cantaloupe more than anything else. I think he must have foraged for bugs or snails or worms or whatever because it didn't seem like he was eating enough of what we put out. <br /><br />There was a period of nearly two years when we completely lost sight of him; thought we had somehow lost him. But, then he showed up about 10 inches underground alongside the foundation (exterminator was trenching for termite treatment). I was surprised at how deep he was. <br /><br />We moved & before we could build a pen, he ran off from the backyard. I just turned my back on him for a second - well, maybe a couple hours - and he was gone.<br /><br />I suggest giving 'em as much space as possible, lots of dirt and I think some plants and places to hide.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Don't leave them in the sun & heat to long if they are in an aquarium. :eek: <br />They aways seemed to enjoy being outside.<br />Heatwaves happen.