Any tips for replacing a pootoon deck.

B Mann

Cadet
I am going to help my son replace the deck on his pontoon. Going with marine plywood and using a marine vinyl flooring. Do you need to seal the marine plywood?? Top? Bottom? Edges? If so with what? I am thinking just the glue and vinyl on the top. Or???? Everything is taken off now. We are getting ready to start the installation and looking for any pointers.

ahicks

Captain
Make sure you seal the seams between the sheets. I just use the glue for the flooring. That gap, if left exposed, can cause the floor covering to lift and possibly fill with water.

Marine ply is going to last a LOOOONNNGGG time (20+ years) without any sealants anywhere.

ahicks

Captain
Just thought of something else. Make sure you install shims to raise the fences up off the deck! Well worth the what it costs to make that mod. Wait until you see how much easier it is to keep the boat clean with the vinyl floor and that mod.....

B Mann

Cadet
Make sure you seal the seams between the sheets. I just use the glue for the flooring. That gap, if left exposed, can cause the floor covering to lift and possibly fill with water.

Marine ply is going to last a LOOOONNNGGG time (20+ years) without any sealants anywhere.

I don't quite follow you... Do you mean the use the flooring glue on the edges of the plywood as you lay them into place to fill the gap?? Or pack the glue in from the top or bottom?? Thanks

B Mann

Cadet
Just thought of something else. Make sure you install shims to raise the fences up off the deck! Well worth the what it costs to make that mod. Wait until you see how much easier it is to keep the boat clean with the vinyl floor and that mod.....

Wow that sounds like a good idea. Any idea on what material to use?? Guessing to use a shim everywhere a bolt holds it down. Would good way to hold in place. How thick?? 1/4 or 1/2 inch??

Thanks again.

kep5niner

Cadet
Those shims are available on the inter web. They’re specific for holding the fence off the deck. I’ve seen them sold in 26 ct. packs.

MRS

Commander
kep5, is right here is what mine look like.

Attachments

• photo338615.jpg
    photo338615.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2

ahicks

Captain
I don't quite follow you... Do you mean the use the flooring glue on the edges of the plywood as you lay them into place to fill the gap?? Or pack the glue in from the top or bottom?? Thanks

The outside edges can be left alone. The only ones of interest are the ones between the sheets - the seams in the floor. Just kind of squeege them full of flooring cement as you are applying it. Pay particular attention to the center, where the main aisle will be when completed. Seems like if they're going to leak, that's where you see it most often. No big disaster if that does happen. You can deal with it from below afterward. Just something to pay attention to now to save yourself the trouble later.

I've done a few of these now, and you can use anything you have handy for those shims. 1/4"-1/2" should be fine. The plastic ones available where re-decking materials are sold work great too!

B Mann

Cadet
The outside edges can be left alone. The only ones of interest are the ones between the sheets - the seams in the floor. Just kind of squeege them full of flooring cement as you are applying it. Pay particular attention to the center, where the main aisle will be when completed. Seems like if they're going to leak, that's where you see it most often. No big disaster if that does happen. You can deal with it from below afterward. Just something to pay attention to now to save yourself the trouble later.

I've done a few of these now, and you can use anything you have handy for those shims. 1/4"-1/2" should be fine. The plastic ones available where re-decking materials are sold work great too!

Great, I already ordered a set of 3/8" shims.

robert graham

Admiral
Check a decking product called Coosa Board.....not cheap but is superior in every way to wood and lasts forever....