Any Spoonbill Fishers Out There?

1968_Red_fish_IMP

Seaman Apprentice
Spoonbill (Paddlefish) snagging just opened here in Mo. Anyone getting out there? I have never fished them If ya didnt know, you snag these large fish) ( Mo. record 139#) and would like to give it a try. Maybe Monday or Tuesday. But I have to reserve one of those days for checking out the Crappie to see if the females are staged for pre spawn.

rwise

Captain
Re: Any Spoonbill Fishers Out There?

I have caught 1, 21 lb spoonbill. But I did not snag it, I was using a crawdad (crawfish) with a fuzzy growth on it and hung the paddlefish in the mouth! May have been an accident but thats what happend, made great steaks.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Red I snagged one by accident 25 years ago Maries Des Cygnes river in Kansas. That river is the headwater of the Osage River that floes into lake Truman. At first I thought I hooked a top fuel dragster. The world record was caught in Kansas last year on a dough ball some guy fishing for carp.

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've never caught them but I've seen a few around here. The are cool looking fish.

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can't keep them in Alabama, To many people catching them and cutting the eggs out and leaving the rest on the bank.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wow that's a memory to me. I used to snag them in MO back when I was stationed there....91-93 right up until I retired.:)

Yeah, I once was a spoonbill fisher. I remember having to choose between studying for finals and snagging some spoonbills down at the river. Studying usuually lost out, good thing I still did well. The only way I know to catch them is to rig a sinker on the very bottom and a large treble hook on top with the line wound around it so it runs straight with the line. Here in Oklahoma we had to bend down or remove the barb becaue the law now allows us to release spoonbill until we decide to keep one. There is even a program that will clean them for you, but they will keep the eggs. The meat is good if you cut the red out. I ate when snagging with my cousin when younger. My more recent experiences were in a river that I would never eat the meat out of!

Check local laws and get to snagging! This is great fun and challenge. The best fishing was in the evenings, and when they are really running the action is almost nonstop. Just be careful for idiots fishing because they can yank their weight/hook combo out of the water and toward unsuspecting fellow anglers. It used to get crowded in certain areas. Good luck!