Any Porsche 944 owners?

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer
I've always been a fan of these cars. My buddies all drive muscle cars and are on me to get a 'fun' car since at 36 years old with no kids I drive a station wagon (another story).<br /><br />The only fun car that interest me at a reasonable price (less than 15K Canadian) is the 944.<br /><br />I've always loved the look of it with its wedge shape.<br /><br />I've trolled a whole bunch of newsgroups and websites.<br /><br />Conclusion is that these cars are pretty bullet proof except for:<br /><br />1. Clutch replacement is an 18 hour job.<br />2. Timing belts have to be replaced every 30K miles followed by regular tension adjustments.<br />3. Engine oil cooler uses engined coolant. Seals to keep both separate need regular updates.<br /><br />To compound this, I realize nothing is cheap on a Porsche. I'm in Toronto. There are several excellent Porsche dealers in Toronto. As a close friend knows these dealers very well, they are not very enthusiastic about working on 15 to 25 year old cars (sounds like outboard dealers!).<br /><br />For this reason, I'm left with dealing with independents. There are very few independent shops that look after Porsches. Those that do are 911 geared and not for 944's.<br /><br />I'm afraid that buying this car may turn into nightmare rather than a dream. Although I work on my outboards for most maintenance I know my skill level will never be condusive to working on cars.<br /><br />Comments?<br /><br />Anybody have one of these beautiful cars?<br /><br />Anybody service on of these cars in Toronto?<br /><br />Tx.<br /><br />Joe

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Any Porsche 944 owners?

Sounds to me like you have answered the question as to whether to own one or not. I used to work for a Dealer in the 70's. I got to drive one as a perk car. I guess they continued to make them into the late 80's? but the early ones I drove had motors that seemed like they came out of a tractor. Very un-porsche like. I also didn't think that they drove all the well either. I would of much rather driven the 914.<br /><br />Be that as it may, later ones may have improved and there does seem to be some admirerers on the net. Good luck!<br /><br /> http://944-world.com/

RichP1269

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Worked for a Porsche wrecking yard in my youth. Can say that the 924, 944 aqnd 928 series Porches were not my favorite. Just something about a water cooled engine not being right in Germanys finest. Will say that the 944 is a direct descendant of the 924, in fact they share most major body and interior components up through 1982 or 83.<br /><br />If you are looking for good independant shops in your area, try contacting your local Porsche Cars of North America chapter. It is like the Iboats f the Porsche world, most all members are friendly and ready to help as they can.<br /><br />Another resource for parts is a shoip in Hayward, California called Partsheaven. All they do is new and used Porsche parts. Very friendly and knowledgable staff. Can not remember therre phonee number but they do have a web site with contact information. <br /><br />Good luck.

RichP1269

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry about the spelling above, Sunday morning - coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

dolluper

Captain

I have worked on them . sinceI wouldn,t buy one but that,s just me 2 cents if your looking try the autotrader online there is quite a few cheap too alot less than 15 somally's

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

Dolluper:<br /><br />I've been on autotrader. There are a lot of them that are less expensive but I wanted low mileage, good service etc. and would pay the premium.<br /><br />I don't really don't want a camaro or mustang. 'vettes never did it for me. A 911 is just too expensive for purchase (25K for a 25 year old one) and I always liked the 944. I would want to make it my daily driver during the summer months and my main transportation to the cottage on weekends (It would be a great drive!).<br /><br />Problem is that I am afraid that the car will have its common problems and then I'll have no one capable of fixing it.<br /><br />Although I love to look at vehicles, and would love to own a fun car, I know that there is a lot of work involved to enjoy these cars. My motorhead friends spend a lot of time with their cars. I just want to drive a fun car.<br /><br />Any recommendations for a fun car?

dolluper

Captain

A Caddy sts with a Northstar Engine very reliable,easy to get parts lots of grunt a classy like hotrod

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

a caddy sts as a fun car?<br /><br />of all the cars I've owned, that one I'd have to rate near the bottom.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My buddy had one and it was expensive on parts. It was pretty reliable.<br /><br />I'd love to have a 928S. Ever see the movie Risky Business?<br /><br />Ken

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

A sports car has to be RWD as far as I'm concerned. 928's ar OK, 911's are better- :)

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wish I have friend in high place that own 911, 944 , etc... :( :(

SoulWinner

Commander

928's are nightmares. They have sensors that monitor other sensors, that are monitotring elcetormechanical devises that monitor sensors! Wiring nightmares! Then engine are great all aluminum v-8's, with decent longevity, but rebuild costs are outragious, and when you go into the engine, it's time to go into the fuel system, replace the ignition system etc. I love the 928, but for the above reasons, I won't ever own one. I see a lot of them down here with GM 350's in them. Not a good choice due to the wieght difference between a 350 and the aluminum original. A 302 with a Pacton would be better.<br /><br />For a fun car that is rear wheel drive, reliable and a lot of fun to drive, try a 1993-1995 Toyota MR-2 Turbo. Bullet proof engine, solid reliable turbo system, relativly cheap parts, tight but not impossible to service your self. If they were 4x4 and easy to lift for 35" BFG's I'd consider one for myself!

eeboater

Commander

I don't know... why not try a <br /><br /> Fiero V8 (Note Mercruiser Motor)<br /><br />Or maybe this Fiero V8. (Note CORVETTE V8)<br /><br />I think it would be AWESOME to pull up to some ricer, or a Z28 sitting at a stoplight, and WASTE them with an 80's Fiero.<br /><br />HAHA.<br /><br />Sean

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

I've given up. Everything leaves me to believe that this would be a mistake.<br /><br />It is a beautiful car though....<br />
johndeitz.jpg

Skinnywater

Commander

A very beautiful picture of an Audi GT. :p <br />Kinda like the 914 was a VW GT.<br />I've done a ton of work on both.<br /><br />Seroiusly, VW switches/electronics, Audi designed motor and a Mercedes 722.3 trans. if it's an automatic.<br />All the outsourceing is the reason parts are so expensive.

KennyKenCan

Commander

I agree with Skinnywater!<br /><br />Its an Audi, disguesed as a Porshe!<br /><br />The 944 was built by Audi, not Porshe, which is another reason for its high costs! Way too many hybrid parts in that car!<br /><br />Look for a 911 or 928, if you want a real sports car.<br /><br />I had a 928 a few years back.<br /><br />What an awesome car!<br /><br />German Camaro!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I thought the 928 and the 944 were related?<br /><br />Ken

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

KenImpZoom,<br /><br />Remember I'm in Toronto, Canada. The dodge stealths are so stealthy that they are all hidden. Mitsubishi just came to Canada 2 years ago!<br /><br />My other option, in biggest bank for the buck, is a mid 90's z-28. 275 hp, easily with under $1000 investment get it up to over 300 hp (different intake, free flow exhaust and ECM updates) and handle fairly well. Look like crap though. I've found them with less than 70000 miles going in the mid $8000.<br /><br />Oh well, the more I think about it, just might buy more boating stuff instead:<br /><br />New 8hp Merc to replace the 1954 7.5 hp 'rude on the tin.<br />New cockpit cover for the cutter<br />More speakers for the cutter<br />New lawnmower for the cottage etc. etc. etc.<br /><br />I'm sure I can spend my fun money on lot's of fun, less of a hedache stuff....