Any other "unsinkables"?

newt

Cadet
My "Whaler Alternatives" thread went off on a slight tangent - hence the new thread.<br /><br />I am studying the used market for a good all purpose, safe, and rugged boat for family fun and fishing. I am impressed with the following and reputation of the Boston Whaler Montauk, but need to be sure I have investigated all the options.<br /><br />Can anyone recomend other makes or models of trailerable boats that are comparable? What other makes claim to be unsinkable?<br /><br />all the help and knowledge is appreciated!

FlyBoyMark

Ensign
Re: Any other "unsinkables"?

McKee Craft if their still in business (Whaler copycats) There used to be an outfit called Dory(from U.K.) that also had whaler type boats, don't know if their still in business either. Mako makes some real nice self-bailing boats....Whalers are very nice boats, but for true offshore comfort I think I would opt for a Mako.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Newt.<br /><br />Most good modern boats are unsinkable, meaning if you swamp them they don't disappear into the depths. <br /><br />Compare the "swamped weight capacity" of various quality boats. :)

newt

Cadet

Thanks JB, If "unsinkable" is the norm now adays, why do we still here of boats and boaters disappearing?<br /><br />ALso, what is it exactly that the montauk has that so so many other boats do not? I mean that makes it such a "safe" boat?<br /><br />Thanks for the input.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Newt.<br /><br />I said "good" boats. Maybe I should have said "high quality" boats. <br /><br />The reason I mentioned swamped capacity is that a Montauk will still support 2000lb when fully swamped, and if you break it up, all of the pieces still float. No other boat comes close (except other Whalers).<br /><br />Whalers don't "disappear" unless stolen.<br /><br />What sets a BMW or Mercedes apart from other autos? Engineering, materials, fittings, finish, etc. They have "personality" that some of us find attractive. :)

D

DJ

Newt,<br /><br />Did you check out Scout? Also, the Caroline Skiff will remain floating in pieces, just like Whaler.

newt

Cadet

ayuh, I checked out the Scout website and I like the look of the 175 or 172 sportfish. Funny though they do not publish swamped capacity or claim to be unsinkable. I also have yet to see one in the local classifieds. <br /><br />Will check out the Carolina's when I get a moment.<br /><br />Thanks for all the input.

EGalvTex

Seaman Apprentice

Newt,<br />Check out Sea Hunt boats. They will not sink and they take more abuse than the driver can dish out. Much more affordable too.

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you heard of the Titanic?

fredda5018

Cadet

CrazyBassist, On what site will I find info on a Maritime Skiff? Thanks,<br /> Fredda