Any opinions on fix or sell of boat

THard

Cadet
I recently found that I have water in the oil after not winterizing the boat early enough. I had the crack marine-texed but still water in oil. Its a 89 bayliner 18 foot with a 3.0 should I try to take the head off and see if its the block or not or should I try to sell it as is( letting the people know its got a problem though).<br />I did a comp. check and the heads comp was ok but it could be cracked at a water jacket I quess. Any input is encouraged. :confused:

GarageGuy42

Seaman
Re: Any opinions on fix or sell of boat

I had that happen to me by not winterizing good enough (not me). I jerked the head off and there was a crack in 1 cyl. not to mention a crack between each freeze plug in the block. I checked my options and there were some(sleeving the cyl. and brazing the block) but I got a reman. just for hassle sake. Fixes don't always fix. No problems since. Very careful about winterizing now! It could be another problem but that's what I found.

Frank Martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if your honest you cant give away a boat with a cracked block reman or a used motor if your lucky enough to find a good used motor is about the only options

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

THard, its gonna be a block...I have dealt with enough freeze cracked 3.0's over the years, the heads usually crack externally, if at all at the rear of the head...the blocks will usually start cracking up behind the manifold below the cylinder head deck surface..when real bad they will bust in the lifter galley and drop water in the oil pan...get a price on a new replacement long block...they really aint that bad, compared to what you gotta do to get a fitted block together with all your slowly rusting internal hardware...