Any one try a Yamaha prop on a Merc?

XcellR8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need to buy a new prop and I came across the opportunity to try a 13 x 17p K2 black steel Yamaha prop on my 91' 90 ho Merc. The local boat repair shop that has it said that he has found them to work really well on Mercs. Has anyone tried one before?<br /><br />He gave me a different thrust washer and a bushing that fits into the back of the hub to make it flush and told me to use my regular lock washer and nut (it has a pressed in rubber hub so I don't use my Flo-Torq II hardware). Since this bushing is flat there is now nothing for the lock washer to grab. When I asked him about that he told me not to worry about the nut coming loose because it is a nylon locking nut so it won't. Should I be concerned? Should I give this prop a try on my Merc or is there a good chance that I may loose it (since the lock washer won't really be there to keep the nut from turning)?<br /><br /> bushing installed <br /><br /> Without bushing <br /><br /> Thrust washer side of prop <br /><br /> Thrust washer

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Any one try a Yamaha prop on a Merc?

Its done all the time, no big deal. Like they said, you may have to fool with the hardware but it seems they've done that for you. Just as long as its spaced so the prop doesnt rub on the gearcase.<br /><br />As for the nut -- the nylock will be fine. Remember -- you dont even need a nut while going forward. The prop is always pushing itself trying to go towards the gearcase.<br /><br />Now reverse is a whole different matter.

XcellR8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br /> Its done all the time, no big deal. Like they said, you may have to fool with the hardware but it seems they've done that for you. Just as long as its spaced so the prop doesnt rub on the gearcase.<br /><br />As for the nut -- the nylock will be fine. Remember -- you dont even need a nut while going forward. The prop is always pushing itself trying to go towards the gearcase.<br /><br />Now reverse is a whole different matter.
Thanks, we did put it on a motor while I was there and the spacing seemed fine (it sat slghtly inside the hub with no rubbing). I would still like to try raising my motor at some point to see if it would increase the efficiency and correct some of handling issues I described in my other post but figured I may as well try this prop while I have the chance. <br /><br />He also gave me a 13.25 x 17p 3-blade Merc prop to try. If the Yamaha prop proves to be the best one of the ones I tried can I assume that it will still be the preferred choice after I raise my motor up one hole (I may have to make a decision whether or not to buy it before I get a chance to play around with my motor height)?<br /><br />Since this prop is painted steel rather than stainless will there be an issue with rusting if it gets scratched or nicked up? What is a prop like this worth new (the guy I got it from may be willing work out a trade for my SS Trophy Plus, just wondering what would be a reasonable price difference to settle on)?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yep, it never hurts to try every prop that you can. The only thing I dont like about the thrust washer they gave you is that if it doesnt center the prop it may wobble some. That can (might) lead to spun hubs.<br /><br />With that type Yamaha prop we've not been able to use much X demension but youll just have to try it on your rig. <br /><br />As with any ss prop, if it gets scratched and not cleaned it will show some surface rust over time. The next time you run it, it'll be gone.

XcellR8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br />The only thing I dont like about the thrust washer they gave you is that if it doesnt center the prop it may wobble some. That can (might) lead to spun hubs.<br /><br />
Is there a better one to use? Isn't this thrust washer the same one that is used for the old style Merc props with the pressed in rubber hub (is there a risk of the prop not centering with the old style Merc props as well?)?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'm just not real fond of any thrust washer that doesnt center in the prop. It probably wont show up on most boats but I did run into a situation once on a Hydrostream Vector where the boat was very hard to drive -- real odd on a Hydrostream. We found the prop would wobble when you spun it by hand. It turned out the thrust washer was the flat type. We changed to a centering type and everything was fine again.<br /><br />Now that was a 70+ ride. I'm not saying it will happen every time, I just prefer the centering type. Some prop gurus tell me that a wobbling prop is hard on the hub. I have no reason to doubt that.

XcellR8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br /> I'm just not real fond of any thrust washer that doesnt center in the prop. It probably wont show up on most boats but I did run into a situation once on a Hydrostream Vector where the boat was very hard to drive -- real odd on a Hydrostream. We found the prop would wobble when you spun it by hand. It turned out the thrust washer was the flat type. We changed to a centering type and everything was fine again.<br /><br />Now that was a 70+ ride. I'm not saying it will happen every time, I just prefer the centering type. Some prop gurus tell me that a wobbling prop is hard on the hub. I have no reason to doubt that.
I hear you! With the 13 x19p aluminum I borrowed I found that even with the centering type thrust washer it took a few tries to get it perfectly straight so that it didn't rub on the hub (it either has too much paint on the part of the hub that goes into the housing or it is slightly out of round). Is there a centering type thrust washer that will fit this Yamaha prop?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I've generally found the same brand thrust washer as the prop works best. Now, you also have to be careful anout the taper on the shaft. You want those to match as close as possible too. But I'd try the Yamaha thrust washer -- if its the centering type.

XcellR8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br /> I've generally found the same brand thrust washer as the prop works best. Now, you also have to be careful anout the taper on the shaft. You want those to match as close as possible too. But I'd try the Yamaha thrust washer -- if its the centering type.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if you attemp the yam thrust washer carefully check that the fwd part that contains the line cutter clears the propshaft seal. most wont, we usually either use the merc style or machine off the line cutter. its the groved portion that goes fwd. I had a customer try the yam washer on his merc. he later admitted that it did not fit quite right but they tightened the nut anyway. it broke the bearing carrier :) .

XcellR8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> if you attemp the yam thrust washer carefully check that the fwd part that contains the line cutter clears the propshaft seal. most wont, we usually either use the merc style or machine off the line cutter. its the groved portion that goes fwd. I had a customer try the yam washer on his merc. he later admitted that it did not fit quite right but they tightened the nut anyway. it broke the bearing carrier :) .
Thanks for the tip, these are the things I'm trying to avoid! I think maybe I'll try the Merc one he gave me first to see if I like the prop (no sense buying a washer if I find out I don't like the prop). <br /><br />I put it on yesterday to see how it would fit and it spins just as true as the aluminum Merc prop with the centering washer. When you spin it and watch the end of the hub there is a slight amount of wobble but no more than the Merc prop. I take it this is normal?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If youre watching the prop itself, it may wobble some on the hub. That will probably straightnen out when its running. If youre watching the shaft and/or the actual hub then the shaft may be bent slightly.

XcellR8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br /> If youre watching the prop itself, it may wobble some on the hub. That will probably straightnen out when its running. If youre watching the shaft and/or the actual hub then the shaft may be bent slightly.
I was watching the hub itself, just in front of the exhaust ring (if you watch the exhaust ring it has a bit more up and down than the part of the hub directly in front of it). If your looking at the front half of the hub (the portion closest to the gear housing) there doesn't appear to be any up and down movement. <br /><br />If I recall correctly there was no up and down movement along the length of the hub with the SS Trophy Plus prop. The 13 x19p that I tried previously had similiar "movement" close to the exhaust ring. I guess to be sure I could always remove the prop and put a dial indicator on the shaft. If the shaft is out a bit wouldn't there be a vibration at all speeds? Is there a tolerance spec for the prop shaft or does it have to be perfectly straight (if that's even possible)?

XcellR8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br /> Yep, it never hurts to try every prop that you can. The only thing I dont like about the thrust washer they gave you is that if it doesnt center the prop it may wobble some. That can (might) lead to spun hubs.<br /><br />With that type Yamaha prop we've not been able to use much X demension but youll just have to try it on your rig. <br /><br />As with any ss prop, if it gets scratched and not cleaned it will show some surface rust over time. The next time you run it, it'll be gone.
I had a chance to try both props. For those interested in the results check out my post under my original topic called "Can I raise my motor?".<br /><br />BTW, is there a way to delete the two blank posts above this one?