any old Ford Thunderbird wrenches here?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
long story (plus I dont want to join another forum)

working on the girlfriends father's 1963 T-bird - 390 with a 4 barrel. it has 42000 miles on it, and he is the original owner. the car has sat for the past 11 years and now they want to drive it.

got it running.....and stopping. new fuel tank, sender, straps, etc.

however the 49 year old exhaust manifold gaskets have succumbed to rust.

can one remove the exhaust manifolds while the engine is in the car, or am I looking at yanking the engine?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: any old Ford Thunderbird wrenches here?

Scott I worked on one about 20 yeas ago. I do not believe you need to lift the motor but it is tight!!! the manifolds should come out. I would almost swear to it.

Since that car is so classic..... I would be tempted to pull the motor just so I had full access incase of drilling out old studs. Be prepared to use lots of heat!

If you have to pull a stud, chase the threads into the head before you re-install.

I have no idea what you have access to but a lift and a full garage may be needed.

The last 2 fords I worked on were a 1956 Fairlane and a 1955 Crown Victoria that belonged to a late friend of mine. They are listed on ebay!

Scott Danforth

Staff member

thanks Bob. PM me the ebay links, would be worth taking a look.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure about your application but I recently had to change manifolds my truck and the bolts wouldn't budge. I found it easier to use a right angle air grinder with a cutoff wheel to slice the heads off the bolts and slide the manifolds off. Then I could put the heat to the head and the bolts came right out.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

there is only 1" of clearance between the manifolds and shock towers. no chance of getting a right-angle grinder in there.

Bob_VT

Staff member

I'm not sure about your application but I recently had to change manifolds my truck and the bolts wouldn't budge. I found it easier to use a right angle air grinder with a cutoff wheel to slice the heads off the bolts and slide the manifolds off. Then I could put the heat to the head and the bolts came right out.
Then as I suggested - before the new studs go in - chase those threads.

Hmmmmm sounds like the rear transmission mount is coming loose, the engine mounts and you might have to partially lift the motor a bit :(

LOL do the math if the T-Bird mechanic who did the manifold changes and the PDI way back when in 1963 was 20 years old that would put them at about 69 years old today!

I hope this is not a job to get the car ready for the weekend :eek: not this weekend!!!

Please post a picture or two of this older Ford.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Then as I suggested - before the new studs go in - chase those threads.

Hmmmmm sounds like the rear transmission mount is coming loose, the engine mounts and you might have to partially lift the motor a bit :(

LOL do the math if the T-Bird mechanic who did the manifold changes and the PDI way back when in 1963 was 20 years old that would put them at about 69 years old today!

I hope this is not a job to get the car ready for the weekend :eek: not this weekend!!!

Please post a picture or two of this older Ford.

I did, made a quick trip to the local hardware for grade 8 replacements where I told the guy " I know they are gold in color but are they solid gold?" They wanted $1.49 a piece. :eek: Tractor supply was 97 cents a pound lol

I would enjoy seeing some pics also. Good Luck with your project. Could you get at it with a air saw? http://www.harborfreight.com/high-speed-metal-saw-91753.html

Scott Danforth

Staff member

no chance of getting any cutting tool in there, even if I did cut the heads of the bolts off, the manifold would not be able to slide past the bolt bodies.

its looking like I either pull the motor, or at least pull the heads with manifolds on, then remove the manifolds.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd prepare to pull the motor. IME those studs are gonna be a pita.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Only 42K on the motor and I would not want to be doing head AND manifold gaskets - you would be increasing your work/maintenace cost - if it's not broke - don't fix that!! ;)

I would go with either pulling the motor completely or tilting it up w/o full removal and it will also give you the change to make the engine compartment sparkle.

The manifold studs will easier once the motor is out. I would have a bottoming tap to chase the threads and a torch to help get the old ones out. You never alluded to where this work is going to take place and what facilities and tools are available.

How long have you had this girlfriend? I hope it's serious because this is serious mechanical work. :D Serious enough to hire a professional mechanic to do it if necessary!

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

have you even tried yet to break the manifold bolts loose? is it a regular 390 or a GT model? regular has only 2 bolts per cylinder while the gt has 4 bolts per cylinder on the exhaust manifolds.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

its a standard 390, 2 bolts (not studs) per port. tried a standard 12 point box wrench and could feel the wrench starting to slip, so I have a 6-point on order coming tomorrow. if that doesnt work by 10 am tomorrow, the intake and heads will come off.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

Manual or automatic. Might want to change trans fluid, filter, vacuum assist, engine oil etc. also check the seals on the yolk and make sure it isn't cracked.

Good luck with the bolts. I have broken more exhaust manifold bolt and studs than I care to think about.

Also on a side note , being it's a 63 it probably doesn't have hardened seats on the valves so if you pull em to do the studs get em gone through and have hardened seats put in( why pull the heads twice). If not use a good lead substitute