Any mushroom hunters out there?

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
This has GOTTA impress someone! It's been a bad year for morels, but I found this little guy in one of my favorite haunts...if I can't get quantity, at least I found quality...this is NOT a doctored photo.<br />
mushroom.jpg

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Any mushroom hunters out there?

Craze,<br />thats one big morel.<br />I will be in a area end of next week that is suppose to have them, any tips on how to find um? Shade, sun, next to dead trees, etc.<br /><br />How do you prepare them ?

NYMINUTE

Captain

They are all here in Indiana. Except me. I just buy the cheap ones for pizza.

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those damn mushroom make me freak out.<br /><br />Oh sorry wrong mushrooms!! :D :D ;)

Ralph 123

Captain

For all you Deadwood fans, It looks like the "mushroom" of a frequent visitor to the Gem Saloon

LadyFish

Admiral

WOW... :eek: thats a beaut!!!<br /><br />Us kids used to get mushrooms with my Grandma in the woods all the time. She knew what she was doing. Tree mushrooms, morels, puff balls....I really miss it, you can't match the flavor with store bought IMHO.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I'm no professional mushroom hunter by any means. Just lucked out and my house is on a 2 acre wooded lot that has a consistent crop of these in one location every year.<br /><br />I'm just northwest of Indianapolis. Mine are under an ancient, dying black walnut tree that's about 3 feet in diameter at the edge of a bit of a ravine that runs some water only during times of heavy rain. They like the shade of some big weeds I call "May plants" but I'm not sure that's the right term...they look like a bunch of 6 to 8 inch wide umbrellas that are about 10 inches above the ground. I sweep the umbrellas aside and often there's a Morel hidden under them. There's also a lot of big boulders around this tree, and they seem to grow between the rocks.<br /><br />Hope that helps. Good luck!<br /><br />Methinks the weather is not cooperating this year in my area, usually it needs to be cooler and wetter, so this is not a good year for them, but obviously they're out there somewhere!

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by nothinbig:<br /> Those damn mushroom make me freak out.<br /><br />Oh sorry wrong mushrooms!! :D :D ;)
LOL!!! Didn't they always have mushrooms at Grateful Dead concerts? ;) <br /><br />Butch A.

rwise

Captain

when my kids were young, we would go out and get them. never made it back to the house with them, my girl would eat them as fast as we could find and pickem! always found them in shade near a wet area and have been told that they like ash trees, and my brother swears they live on decaying(sp) roots. nothin better than wild food!

tylerin

Commander

Originally posted by ButchA:<br />
Originally posted by nothinbig:<br /> Those damn mushroom make me freak out.<br /><br />Oh sorry wrong mushrooms!! :D :D ;)
LOL!!! Didn't they always have mushrooms at Grateful Dead concerts? ;) <br /><br />Butch A.
Pink Floyd too! ;)

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

This post is about mushrooms. You guys are talkin' 'bout SHROOMS, DUDE!<br /><br />Whoah. I am SOOOO wasted, man.

Realgun

Commander

My uncle loves to hunt for Mushrooms in Washington. Took me out for Chantrels. Easy to find and indentify. <br /><br />9 years later I still have them dried in a sealed jar. :)