Any Input for Corn on the Cob and a BBQ Grill?

Link

Rear Admiral
Tonights dinner is totally exsperimental.<br /><br />(1st)We are going to try Shish-Ka-Bobs (sp)<br /> <br />Last night I cut some meat into cubes and put it in (Buddha Bellys) Teriyaki sauce to marinade over night. Home made teriyaki sauce we picked up a month or so ago while on vacation in hood river Oregon. Got some metal sticks and we are going to shove the meat, pinapple chunks, red and green bell peppers, mushrooms, pearl onions etc etc on them and just lay on the BBQ grill and turn until they look done. <br />Can't see nothing much going wrong there.<br />However we have never tried this before<br /><br />(2nd) Corn on the Cob and the BBQ Grill<br />Wrapped in foil with water-- good<br />Wrapped in foil with butter--good<br />Coated with butter and salt and husk pulled back up-Good<br /><br />Has anyone just tried laying the cobs on the grill without husks and just turning until done?? <br /><br />Im thinking it should work.<br /><br />Next post: Link take Mrs.Link and MIL out to dinner after destroying food at home! LOL<br /><br />I have about 3 1/2 hour before exsperment starts!<br /> :eek:

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Any Input for Corn on the Cob and a BBQ Grill?

I have tried it that way Link and it dries out too much for me.<br /><br />I like to peel back the husk, spread them with melted butter and seasonings, then wrap them back up. To me they get more of a roasted flavor than in aluminum.<br /><br />I've also soaked them for a couple of hours in a sink full of water then just threw them on the grill without adding anything at all to them and they come out just fine.<br /><br />My 2 cents. :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Link, bbq them au natural. They came into the world with their husk and silk on, that's the way they should leave the world.<br /><br />It's the best way to steam them right in their own covering. If it is good corn it will be great. Doesn't take to long to cook them either, usually just as long as it takes to sear the outer layer of the husk all around. (turn them)

Link

Rear Admiral

Hey thanks for the replies and I agree 100% with cooking them in the husks.. if that were a option.<br />However these are frozen COB left over from a BBQ last Saturday for Mrs.Links Navy reserve unit and dont have husks (Fake COB) if you will. :) They came 12 ears to a bag maybe 4 or 5 inches long<br /><br />Well this gives me a idea.. maybe I'll try putting a couple cans of water under the part of the grill where I will be putting the naked corn cobs?? Works for smoking Turkys..Hmm<br /><br />As a back up I'll do some in foil and butter

KRS

Banned

rub them with olive oil and place 'em on there naked, high heat and get 'em done. I like it much better than any other because it includes the smokey flavor, Try It Once, just for me!

Twidget

Commander

I put huskless ears in foil loosely with butter and seasoning. Then put the whole assembly in the top tray of the grill while I cook everything else. It turn out great!

Triton II

Commander

We BBQ everything from meat to prawns to baby octopus (with lots of lemon juice and pepper) to corn on the cob. I'm with At My Expense, but I also rub some salt and pepper into the corn before cooking. Yum!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Dont know how to cook much, but I dooooo know how to eat......<br />Thru the lips and past the tounge......<br />Look-out tummy here it comes...... :eek: <br /><br />BTW How did ya cook em....And how did they fare??? :confused: <br /><br />Will ya do it that way again??? :D

KRS

Banned

Grill them bare, with oil, salt and pepper, they get a little charred, taste great and all the silk that you couldn't pick off gets burned off.<br /><br />Done it that way many many times.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by At My Expense:<br /> rub them with olive oil and place 'em on there naked, high heat and get 'em done. I like it much better than any other because it includes the smokey flavor, Try It Once, just for me!
Will try that on friday and post on it.. a couple others said the same and we have 30 naked ears to play with.<br /> Reel Poor <br />Well tonight I got behind th 8 ball and didnt have time to try the water so just grilled three and did three in foil and water.. <br />Mrs.Link LOVED the Dry and Chewy Corn.. like LF said it would be but me and her mom werent so hot on it. The Flavor was good though. Sorta like chewing GUM! Ack! <br />Looking forward to Friday and coating naked ears with oil and spices.. ;)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

We had a large group of people at the camp last month. So we needed to cook the corn fast. We husked them and put them in the turkey fryer for about 4 minuets. Turned out great! <br /><br />Picked this idea up from a bikers hog roast last year. The corn was great as it was last month.<br /><br />Just another idea for ya.

one more cast

Captain

I hose down the fresh corn, toss it on the hot grill and close the lid. When the husks start to char I flip them over. When the other side starts to char I remove them to a foil pan at let them set while cooking everything else. They will continue to cook and stay hot for a long time in the husks.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been cooking corn in the husk{on an open fire} for years almost the only way I do it anymore, never had a problem. Never tried them naked, but the olive oil idea sounds like it would work.

oddjob

Commander

In the husk ....and sometimes I wrap foil around that if leave them on awhile or add smoke....<br /><br /><br />But Kelton or KKC will tell you how to do it proper Texas style.. :D ;)

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Here's how I do it and KKC, Mr. Ladyfish and Ladyfish ate it at my place.<br /><br />get your pit smoking like you would for a brisket....around 200-225 deg. F. Have the fire in the fire box so only smoke/heat is going into the pit (true way to bbq - and only use wood).<br /><br />put the corn in the husks (don't peel them down, don't do anything to them, just like you picked them). Put them in on the grill (not the fire box) and turn them every 15 minutes or so. the husks will start drying out and coming apart, just put what comes off on the fire....after about 2 hours of doing this, your corn will be super moist, great flavor and you won't eat any of the other food you cooked.<br /><br />the key is cooking away from the fire. The true way to bbq is low and slow....low heat over a long time.

24tesla

Seaman

Southern spicy Grilled Corn<br /> <br />1/2 c Mayonaise<br />2 Tbsp. chopped onion<br />1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar<br />1/2 Tbsp. finely chopped garlic<br />1/2 tsp. chipotle powder<br />4 ears corn-on-the-cob, halved<br /> <br />1. In small bowl, combine all ingredients except corn.<br /> <br />2. Grill corn, brushing frequently with mayonaise mixture, until corn is tender. Garnish, if desired, with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley. <br /> <br />Serves: 4 <br />Prep Time: 8 minutes<br />Cook Time: 8 minutes<br /><br />Sounds strange but I swear it is awesome.