Any Ideas?

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am the owner of a 1987 mercury 35hp.

Question 1# why does this motor come for the factory with no thermostat but it has the housing and guts for a thermostat?

Question 2# dealer did to compression check and it was 160 and 162 is this high??

Queston 3# Is this the same block as a 40 if so can you get a little more power out of it.

Queston 4# this motor will not idle down to save is its life even after carb took a hydrosonic bath and were rebuilt, wire and plugs replaced, fuel pump replaced.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 4 Mercury Design Questions???

I am the unhappy owner of a 1987 mercury 35hp oiling system removed.

Question 1# why does this motor no have a thermostat but it has the housing and guts for a thermosat and popit valve

Question 2# dealer did to compression check and it was 160 and 162 why would it have compression so high??

Queston 3# Is this the smae block as a 40 if so can you get a little more power out of it.

Queston 4# this motor will not idle down to save is its life even after carb took a hydrosonic bath and were rebuilt, wire and plugs replaced, fuel pump replaced. Can't find and leaking in the lower seals on the bottem end of the motor.
and could I add thermostat I know it didn't come with one or is that a dumb question to even ask?

What is a Merc 35?
Why is Mercury engineering to blame for a frankenmerc?

Compression sounds high. Might have been modified. Maybe it won't run with octane below about 96. You could try a gallon of aviation 100LL in it to check that out.

Some folks trying to modify a Merc 2 cycle will assume if they remove cooling parts that water flow will increase and improve cooling. It's usually a bad move, sometimes fatal.

At any rate, it's hard to give any advice without knowing what in the world you have to work with.

my 02
John

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

This motor came from the factory with out a thermostat.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Any Ideas?

I am the owner of a 1987 mercury 35hp.

The oiling system that came with those engines was the 'Auto-blend'... Dreadful piece of engineering... Killed almost as many engines as the Johnrude VRO system... The PO did you a favour by removing it... Just stick to 50:1 and you won't have a problem...

oldgradywhite said:
Question 1# why does this motor come for the factory with no thermostat but it has the housing and guts for a thermostat?

No thermostat showing on my drawings.

oldgradywhite said:
Question 2# dealer did to compression check and it was 160 and 162 is this high??

These were always a high compression engine... Those numbers look good.

oldgradywhite said:
Queston 3# Is this the same block as a 40 if so can you get a little more power out of it.

It's not just the same block, it's the same engine. in 1984 Merc changed from crankshaft rating of hp to prop shaft. Hence the 'decrease' in power.

oldgradywhite said:
Queston 4# this motor will not idle down to save is its life even after carb took a hydrosonic bath and were rebuilt, wire and plugs replaced, fuel pump replaced.

That could be any of the ignition system, or a bad reed...or an air leak in the manifold, crankcase seals, leaking crankshaft seals, transfer port gaskets... I think a little more investigation is called for.

Chris............

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

The oiling system has been gone for a long time. How hard it is to get to the reeds??? So this is the same motor as my old 402???

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The oiling system has been gone for a long time. How hard it is to get to the reeds??? So this is the same motor as my old 402???

Zakkery... To get to the reeds you need to split the block.... Doesn't get any further into the engine than that!

Chris...............

turbinedoctor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont know how long you have had this motor but if the link and sync is not correct it could cause it to idle high.

Durwood