Any ideas to remove the bearing race?????

hornetswarm

Seaman Apprentice
My bearmg disintegrated and I am left with this race stuck in the housing. I have been puting pentrating oil for a week now, and then taping from the bottom end....will not budge...any tips on removing this.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 0

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Any ideas to remove the bearing race?????

Heat up the bearing carrier around the race with a propane torch. Get it good and hot. Then try tapping it out with a hammer and punch. Heat is your friend.

If that doesn't work, try a die grinder or dremel. Grind out two grooves across the race. Take out as much of the race without actually going through it or damaging the bearing carrier itself. Take a hammer and a punch or chisel and hit it at the spot that you ground away. If you've taken enough of the race away and hit it just right, it'll crack the race. Note, you'll need either cobalt grinding burrs or even better, carbide grinding burrs to cut through the bearing race. It really hard stuff.

fishrdan

Admiral

A slide hammer should pop the race out quickly. Strap the housing down to something stationary and give it a couple good whacks, should pop out easily.

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep...the good old slide hammer bearing puller. Autozone will let you check one out for free, with a refundable deposit. Other option is to use a press.

treemaker

Recruit

Know anyone with a welder? Weld a spot about 1/2" long on the inside of the bearing race, let it cool and it will fall out.

BobList

Petty Officer 2nd Class

first, make sure you're hitting the race, and not the housing from underneath... there should be 2 little cutouts to allow you to do this.. I can't see anything from the pics, so don't be insulted if I suggest that :^)

Also, you said the bearing disintegrated.. if it seized, It could have welded itself to the race intermittantly, spinning the race in the housing, welding THAT to the housing, or digging a groove that it's stuck in now... when you get it out... make sure the housing is still smooth. If the new race goes in easy, and pulls right out again, it prob spun and oversized it's bore. New housing time, or some fancy punch work to tighten it up.

Bob

hornetswarm

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the responses. I tried a torch yesterday.....no luck...I will go to autozone and try the slide hammer.

hornetswarm

Seaman Apprentice

Phew, finally....Slide hammer would not work, or I did not know what the heck I was doing or the slide hammer was garbage....who knows. Just could not get enough bite on the race, so I went with a high speed dremel....and after much cuting and sweating that I was going to screw up the housing viloa, out came the race....I am back in buiseness...thanks all who helped.