any ideas how big a gas tank on a 16' bowrider would be?

greg_upnorth

Seaman Apprentice
ive got a 1982 sea sprite 120hp merc in/out board. its a deep v style. I cannot find any brochures or owners manual for this boat. So any guestimates on how big a gas tank i would have in there? I have put maybe 10gals of gas on two occasions, both times the gas gauge was just under 1/2 tank, and i dont think i topped it off either time. my guess would be over 20gals...maybe as much as 40?
thanks,
Greg

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: any ideas how big a gas tank on a 16' bowrider would be?

I know on my 18 foot, 1988 bowrider, I have a 23 gallon tank.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Gauges aren't usually that accurate and usually are top loaded so that they show empty when you really have a little reserve......for that emergency you get yourself into.

On a 16' boat I really doubt that you have over 18 gallons because of the weight. You have one ref for an 18' and as I recall, a friend of mine had a SeaRay 18' closed bow and it too was just over 20 gallons. I had an 18' trihull open bow with outboard power, built in tank and it was 18 gal.

HTH,

Mark

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you can get to it there should be a plate on the tank with the size. My 18' outboard has a 45gal tank.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there is only one way to be sure, run it empty, and fill. or as close to empty as you dare.

greg_upnorth

Seaman Apprentice

hmm...
the reason i am asking is after weighing my rig, I have about 300#s unaccounted for. the actual weight of my rig is 2800#.
according to Nada, my stern drive boat is 1650 (my assumption is it includes the engine). According to shoreland'r, they matched up my VIN and said my trailer weight new was 640#. assuming i have aboiut 18gals of gas in the tank, that would be 126#. so right now i am at 2416. add 50# for the trailer jack, 25# for my anchors, that puts me at 2491, give or take. Since my boat is winterized, I do not have a battery onboard, it is sitting in my basement. I made a little list of extras that might not be included in the mfg's weight but that would add maybe 75 to 100 lbs.
The bow is up with the drain plug out, no water in the bilge from what i can tell.
so, the question: Is this much variance from mfg's stated weight normal? or should i be concerned?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Manufacturer weights cannot be used for much of anything. They may not even included the interior . . . Also, you may have some waterlogged flotation. Why are you concerned?

greg_upnorth

Seaman Apprentice

Manufacturer weights cannot be used for much of anything. They may not even included the interior . . . Also, you may have some waterlogged flotation. Why are you concerned?

because i dont wanna find out i have waterlogged flotation :D

the floor seems solid to me, id rather not rip anything up to find out if i dont have to.

the other reason is i am right at the cusp of having to install brakes on the trailer to be legal (which i am considering doing during winter lay-up).

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

My '88 19' SeaRay Bowrider (18 foot plus swimplatform) with a 4.3L sterndrive has a 35 gal tank. My '98 21' Dual Console Outboard has a 63gal tank. The trend has been to put larger tanks in these boats recently. If your boat is from the 80s, I would guess the tank is in the 20-25gal range. If it is newer it may have a greater capacity.

Pull up the cover over the tank or gas gauge. The tank should be marked as to capacity.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

1987 Wellcraft 18' bow rider w/ 3.0 - 20 gallon tank

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

1999 17' Aquasport CC with 33gal tank.

I had a 1984 18' Cheata with 3.7 and a 20gal tank

oops!

Supreme Mariner

after you find your gas tank size and if your still out 300 lbs. drill a small hole in the floor in an inconspicuos spot and insert a moisture probe. that will tell if you have saturated foam.
if you do.... get your self a really big gun ......(kidding). its a good winter project!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

But he has a 16' boat and it's not part of the recent 'bring the gas station along with you" craze.

I'm sticking with 18 gal. But the tag would tell you (if you can get to it....probably not) and filling the empty tank would help as tas said.

But when it says E it probably isn't. Bringing along a 5 gal nurse tank when you empty it might be a good idea.

Mark

greg_upnorth

Seaman Apprentice

drill a small hole in the floor in an inconspicuos spot and insert a moisture probe.

there is a void space in the bow when i lift up the seats, I am wondering if i could just stick the probe in there without any drilling? and how much would a moisture probe cost me? is that something i can pick up at the local ACE hardware?

and thanks to all the other posters regarding the tank size, it gives me a good estimate anyways...although it looks like im gonna have to wait till next season to run 'er dry and fill it up to find out what i got.
-greg