Any good rib recipes for a Weber BBQ?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ribs aren't as popular down here as in the US.<br /><br />You guys up there are the world experts on them.<br /><br />Anybody want to share their beef or pork rib secrets for a Weber / kettle BBQ or even a conventional oven?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Any good rib recipes for a Weber BBQ?

NO !!<br />You won't share your Cockatoos, so we won't share our recipes !! :mad:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hope you have a Weber with a temp guage Tinkerer. You are in for a real treat. Your neighbors and relatives are gonna think you are a transplanted Yank of at least a Confederate. :p <br /><br />Two important factors here, cook em long and low and cook with indirect heat.<br /><br />If ya can't find a rib rub down your way, post back and I'll post a list of ingredients that you can obtain and make your own.<br /><br />Peel the membrane off the back of the ribs, rub in the rib rub, slather with your favorite sweet type barbeque sauce, put them in a plastic bag and refridgerate for about two days. <br /><br />This is best done on a 22" weber but you can probably get away with the 18"er. If you can buy some coal cradles that fit along sides of the kettle, do so. Weber offers them.<br /><br />If your using the 22", fill the cradles about half full of lit coals, place a drip pan between the cradles. (you can make one out of tin foil) and regulate your heat to about 225 deg F for 2 hours plus or minus. You'll have to experiment. Temperature is the key. Back ribs will take less time than the full ribs.<br /><br />You place the rack of ribs bone down and don't turn them. The last half hour, you'll want to re-baste with more bbq sauce. The ribs will blacken but that's just the sugar. With the low temp they won't be burning as they may look like. Be careful when you pull the ribs off the grill. They may just fall apart as you try to lift them.<br /><br />Bon appetite!

Tinkerer

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> NO !!<br />You won't share your Cockatoos, so we won't share our recipes !! :mad:
I'll share our cockatoo recipe though.<br /><br />Pluck one cockatoo. Put it in a pot of boiling water with a brick. When the brick has boiled away, remove the cockatoo, which will be unaffected, and throw it away. Drink the brick soup.

Tinkerer

Boomyal <br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />I'd appreciate some rub recipes.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Dang Boomyal, now I have to go find something to eat. :(

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Rib Rub, as taken off of a TV BBQ program a couple of years back. It's called a KC (kansas city) rub. Most of these ingredients are available from bulk containers at a local market, if they offer such DownUnder. It's cheaper than buy the stuff in jars.<br /><br />1 cup of cane sugar<br />1/3 cup paprika<br />1/4 cup Lawry's seasoning salt<br />1/4 cup garlic salt<br />1/4 cup celery salt<br />2 tablespoons of onion salt<br />2 " bbq seasoning<br />2 " chili seasoning<br />2 " black pepper<br />1 " lemon pepper<br />2 teaspoons of ground ginger<br />1/2 " thyme<br />1/2 " allspice<br />1/2 " cayenne pepper<br /><br />Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container<br />Generously coat and rub into meat<br />Slather with bbq sauce and refridgerate for 48 hrs<br />Cook at 225-250F for 2.5 to 4 hrs<br />Meat will pull back from end of bones, 1/4 to 1/2 Inch, when done<br /><br />Sometimes I buy ribs in a three pack (good price)<br />I'll peel off the membrane then rub them, rewrap and freeze them till I'm ready to use. Pull out of freezer 24 hrs before and coat them with bbq sauce while they thaw in the fridge.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Tinkerer,<br /> More recipes than you want at:<br /> BBQ Recipes <br /><br />I generally use the BRITU method for cooking ribs. Best Ribs In The Universe<br /><br />I use a WSM, but can be done on Weber grill, with care.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Good add'l tips, BoatBouy. I like the parts about using the honey, rolling the racks and pinning them and placing a pan of water under the ribs. Oh and also, I like the MSG in the rib rub. If you don't have a sensitivity to it, by all means add it to your list of ingredients. It's a great tenderizer.

Tinkerer

Thanks all.<br /><br />BBQ ribs coming up soon.