Any good fishing in the Englewood FL area in December ?

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm traveling to Englewood FL mid December into early January. My wife and kids will be with me and have been floating the idea of taking my kids (age 10 and 11) fishing. I haven't decided shore or boat so both ideas are open.

I was wondering if there is any good fishing this time of the year in that part of the country or is it off season ?

Can anyone recommend a fishing trip or charter in the area for fishing? (They would have to supply everything since we are just visiting the area from the cold north)

Once again appreciate the help

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Any good fishing in the Englewood FL area in December ?

Sure, there's plenty of fishing in & around Englewood. Something is always in season. There are rental boats & charters & a small fishing pier at the Tom Adams bridge. And you can rent a boat or find a charter from virtually any of the marinas in the area. Cape Haze, Stump Pass, Marine Max, Rosy, er, Royal Palm, etc

If yer gonna fish on yer own it would behoove you to buy a license. Or risk the consequences. Don't cost much, just a temporary/visitor thing. And as chance would have it they're available at your friendly local Englewood walmart. As well as info as to what's in season, boating rules, equipment requirements, etc.

Check out FL's Fish & wildlife commission's (FWC) site to see what's off limits. Might be a good idea too to contact your Coast Guard Aux guys'n see if they can hook you up with the dudes down here. Those guys are purty knowledgable and love to help out.

Hoping to have my motor back together well before then so mebbe I'll see you on the water.

kmagnuss

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes you can catch trout, redfish, snook, snapper and others that time of year.
I can't recommend a guide but you can go to fishinfranks.com for a TON of advice for the area.
Stump pass is a good spot to hang out with the fam, or you could head down to Boca Grande for an even better spot.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Go to the docks at Boca Grand. Use a rod with 100 pound test line. Tie a rope around you and the rod and throw over a big mullet or pinfish and hang on.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wasn't kidding. There are jew fish there that are 300 lbs. Makes for a great picture