Any Ford techs here

tie_one_on

Petty Officer 1st Class
2003 Expedition. When started the airbag light flashed 4 times then 2 times (seems to be sending a code 42). Then is stays lit. I'm thinking there must be some problem. Any Ford techs here know what this is trying to point to? How to fix it?
Thanks.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Any Ford techs here

I am not sure what the code is for right off hand but your air bag system probably will not deploy if needed until it is fixed. If I get a chance I will try to look up the code at work tomorrow but I am real busy setting up new police cars and may not get a chance. I would get it checked out asap

dolluper

Captain

Maybe this should help

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE 42: LH RADIATOR PRIMARY CRASH SENSOR FEED/RETURN CIRCUIT OPEN

NOTE:
Use Rotunda 73 Digital Multimeter 105-00051 or equivalent to perform electrical pinpoint tests.

Normal Operation

The voltage at Pin 15 and Circuit 619 (PK/W) is set by the air bag diagnostic monitor to be slightly less than battery voltage. Circuit 619 is connected to Circuit 625 (Y/LG) inside the LH radiator front air bag sensor and bracket. Therefore, the voltage at Circuit 625 and air bag diagnostic monitor Pin 23 should be the same as the voltage at air bag diagnostic monitor Pin 15.

The air bag diagnostic monitor periodically pulls the voltage at Pin 15 low to verify the connection to Pin 23. If the voltage at Pin 23 does not pull low as a result of this test, air bag diagnostic monitor will store in memory and flash out on the air bag indicator a DTC 42. If the connection between Pins 15 and 23 is later serviced, the next ignition switch cycle will produce a DTC 82 (or a higher priority DTC if one exists).

Possible Causes

Failure to get low voltage at Pin 23 during the test can be caused by:

l An open circuit in the wiring harness in either Circuit 619 (PK/W) or Circuit 625 (Y/LG).

l An open circuit inside left radiator front air bag sensor and bracket across Circuit 619 (PK/W) or Circuit 625 (Y/LG).

l A short to battery or ignition voltage in any of the Circuits 617 (PK/O), 619 (PK/W), 624 (Y/W), 625 (Y/LG).

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have an 2003 expedition and hear a noise coming from the rear of the vehicle from time to time. I checked the suspension , the exhaust, spare tire and its all solid. I can't find the cause. Had a guy with the same vehicle stop me the other day at the car wash. He said "sir, we have the same vehicle, can I ask you something? Do you hear noises from the back of your vehicle?" He was having the exact same problem and has yet to find the source.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I have one too. They are notorious for a rear end cluck for those with limited slip diffs. At 32000 miles I "decided" that my expi had a "problem" since I knew of others. In truth I never really heard anything I thought was outside of normal noise but the Ford dealer agreed and replaced about $800 worth of parts. After the fix it was whisper quiet, I guess it really did have a problem.