Any Financial Advice

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer
At this time of year, I'm looking at RRSP (U.S. 401K) options, stocks, Mutual funds etc. etc. etc. <br /><br />I've been quite successful for being in my mid thirties.<br /><br />I have a moto for financial success:<br /><br />'Do not finance depreciating assets.'<br /><br />Any body else go by this rule?

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Any Financial Advice

Yes, but I have not always had that luxury. When I was getting started I shopped around for the car loans, and don't recall buying anything else on credit.<br /><br />Some would call me fiscally conservative, others would just say that I'm a cheap bas***d! :p

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I am in my mid 30's. I have been working since I was 13. The only times I have been without a paying job was during the winter months while still in school. Farming, construction, fry cook, warehouse, cattle and hog feeders, automotive tech, you name it.<br />MY motto has always been "Just hang on another few days til payday".<br />I have not been able to find out how not to finance depreciating assets. Everything has depreciation. Homes, automobiles..... everything. Unless you mean other kinds of assets?<br />Even when I was managing my families ranch, and had a small operation of my own everything depresiates. Livestock, equipment and all. Luckily I never had to finance anything with that venture. That is where I learned my motto, never NEVER work for or with family! Never rent from family, never buy from family. I worked for and with and rented from my entire family. It was an estate situation and all had a say.<br />Anyway, anyone else have the paycheck blues too?

Kiwi Phil

Commander

"Freehold the House you live in".<br /> <br />Best investment you will ever make.<br /><br />"Always expanded out of Tax Paid Profit."<br /><br />I didn't do it for the 1st 18 yrs (Motels, Motor Inn) but father put the idea to me, and I tried it in this business.<br />It has some real down sides tho, as you just buy what you can afford so you have a lot of old/2nd hand/makeshift gear.<br />The up side is: you have no debt, no lease repayments, no credit charges etc etc. Hence you don't need to turn over so much to make the same profit.<br /><br />"Work from Home" if possible. <br /><br />You avoid all the costs such as rent, power, phone,rates utility charges etc (there is a page of these expences). The bottom line is, an associate of mine doing pretty much what i do but not working from his home needs a turnover of $700,000 year to net $84,000. I turnover $125,000 to make $75,000.<br />He is running around 12% net profit of turnover. I am running around 60% net profit of turnover. (His rent is over $6,000 month. Trucks, 4x4 SUV, Mums new car leases exceed $4500 month and so the list goes on). <br />We have a drought at the moment and times are tough. He is very worried, I'm a little concerned. If his sales are down, his expences continue. My sales are down, I have few expences, and i can make changes and adjustments quickly. eg I use to spend over $10,000 yr on seedlings from a grower. My wife has learnt to grow/raise these seedlings. So we spent $2,500 in purchasing seed, and have saved $7,500 yr. My son did the deliverys. He left and wife and I do it, so that freed up another $14,000. I have made minor adjustments around the place which has freed up another $6,000 yr, so I am better of by by around $27,000 yr which compensate for my drop in sales, not effecting my taxable income very much.<br /><br />"what does Tax Deductable mean". <br /><br />If you buy a expensive new vehicle because you get the depreciation off it and tax deductible interest charges on the loan etc, be careful, you may be paying $1,000 month to the bank to save yourself $250 month in tax. Where do you think the other $750 a month comes from - your pocket mate. Not saying it dosn't work, do your sums and be careful. Buying an older vehilce freehold, you may save your self $12,000 yr in repayments and pay $3,000 more tax, but you are $9,000 yr better off, and if your net marging is say 25%, then you don't have to sell an extra $36,000 goods. This is just a rough example, so hope it is understandable.<br /><br />Golden rules in this house<br /><br />Credit card is paid in full every monday afternoon.<br /><br />If the money is not in the bank, you can't have it - and that goes for everything.<br /><br />Not saying this will work for you, but it does for us. We both sleep well EVERY night and have no business or income worries in the world.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phillip

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

The key is to be flexible. When I was working on a large farm we had to have new equipment. It was more economical to finance a new peice of equipment for $100,000 than to try to work with the old equipment. Down time, repair cost, all add up. When I was ranching with my family we didn't need the new equipment. Most of what we used was 1940's and 1950's models. Most everything else was home made. We did buy some land, but that is an easy decision to make when compared to rent. <br />One saying I lived by, the only difference between a large operation and a small one is 1 bad year. My neighbor had 3 times the land, 3 times the cattle, and all new equipment. He had to over crowd his land with cattle to make payments, but in turn reduced his potential for quality. I was under what I could run for livestock. Many years I could make more money with more cattle per acre, but during the bad years I was setting fine. We got hit by a bad year with drought and disease. I came out of it great, he lost everything. <br />I always figure for personal debt, how many hours will I have to work to pay for this. Will I get double that in hours of use or enjoyment from this. <br />Another rutt that destroys a lot of business is getting stuck in a financial paradym. On the ranch for example back in the 30's and 40's my grandfather tried farming. My uncles kept up the farming end of the business, but not for profit. Farming corn ground was only used for a rotation to get the nitrate balance down for alfalfa, and to rotate crops for better use of the land. When I took over we were still spending big money to harvest the corn, wich dryland corn in the sandhills never produced enough to be worth it. I decided to plant the corn, then turn the calves out on it when it froze. This cut our costs by thousands of dollars a year in equipment, fuel, feed bills. My neighbors all laughed, but soon they followed. The only reason we harvested was because my grandfather did many years ago.<br />I am not a financial wizard, and am in serious trouble now. Mostly brought on by medical expenses that came at us at the wrong time. But I have built three very good businesses in my past. I did not lose anything from these businesses. I simply moved on for various reasons.