any experience with adjustable props?

rnsi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: any experience with adjustable props?

What would happen if you didn't have EXACTLY the same angle on all blades?

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

good question. I wonder if that's possible. I didn't buy this thing yet... I was hoping for some feedback first. They might be strung together such that they move in unison, but I really don't know.

hise

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't heard of Pro Pulse before. I'm probably going to purchase a Piranha prop next spring (http://www.piranha.com/). There are a lot of reviews for the Piranha and they've certainly been around for awhile.<br /><br />I'm sold on it from the perspective of the blades breaking off when a hard object is struck and replacing it with a spare $20 blade on board.<br /><br />--Hise

Elk Chaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That actually looks pretty slick and not a bad price either. <br /><br />Replaceable blades too. <br /><br />I'd buy one if they had one that went past 21 pitch.

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I checked out that Pirahna, looks very similar to the ProPulse, except that the ProPulse lets you adjust the pitch just as easily as it lets you swap a prop blade.<br /><br />This boat is new to me, and it gets up nice with a 17" pitch, but maybe that's not all there is.. I'd love to find the optimal pitch for my setup before I invest in a nice stainless.<br /><br />Thanks, as always, for the thoughtful replies...<br /><br />...Steve...<br /><br />--------------<br />'89 Regal Sering 195 w/ Mercruiser 135 HP I/O<br />'02 Sweetwater 170 Pontoon w/ 75 HP Mercury O/B<br /><br />"...and loving it!"

icebay

Recruit

I've just put a Propulse prop on my boat and it seems to work well. Better acelleration and good grip when i turn hard.I lost 2-3 knots in topspeed because the prop is 4-bladed, i guess its higher resist in the water.Adjusting the pitch is very easy, just 4 bolts and when you turn one blade the others will turn too.The wheight is much lower than alu. and steel props, that will save the gearhouse.If you damage one blade its very easy to change it.Its a good idea to have same spareblades whit you.(Theres a lots of stone in my lake.)<br />Richard

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have been using Pirahna now for a year. Saved my bacon twice already. Replaceable blade for $15 and change. Not variable, but for the price you can't go wrong.