Any condemned tanks?

jesters420

Seaman Apprentice
My friend and I recycle metal. Among other things. We turn them into art. Old tanks with the bottom cut out make great wind chimes. GREAT BIG WIND CHIMES! If anybody has any In the Portland area of Oregon That they would like to get rid of I will pick them up. Thanks

jesters420

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Any condemned tanks?

Sorry I am pretty new to this site. I haven't had any response to this post. Should I remove the post. Should it be in another forum here, or just leave it?

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

The diving forum is a new addition. I don't think that there are many people visiting it as would be nice. I read your post...just didn't reply because I don' have any and I am 3000 miles away. It would be the logical locatation for you request...you could try dockside chat or maybe non-boating questions...but you may get moved.

I do have a 63 cf aluminum tank that I got at a yard sale for $35...it passed visual and hydro this year...but you never know when it will fail. Is it worth it you to to pay to have it shipped cross country when/if it ever fails?

I know that all of my diving buddies sell their condemned tanks for scrap since the prices for metal has jumped up dramatically recently.

-JMW

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check with your local Navy Dive locker. They always have some laying around that they need to get rid of. They had steel, and super heavy duty aluminum prior to useing the standard aluminum tanks for the EOD boys.
They are sure to cut or drill them before you will get em.

Bill Adkins

Seaman

The steel tanks seem to ring better, I have made a few myself. I have a working blacksmith shop in the local mountains.
You should try Scuba Board as they are nation wide and it is read by primarily divers and those interested in becoming divers.
Bill

Gail Wrede

Cadet

jesters420 said:
My friend and I recycle metal. Among other things. We turn them into art. Old tanks with the bottom cut out make great wind chimes. GREAT BIG WIND CHIMES! If anybody has any In the Portland area of Oregon That they would like to get rid of I will pick them up. Thanks