Any comments or advice on this boat I'm looking at today?

Jmpellet

Cadet
Thanks for the continued help. Everyone here is so helpful. I posted some CL links last week and your tips helped me determine that one of the boats had some soft spots.

What do you think about this one:

http://www.shepbrowns.com/Page.aspx...tails/1999-Striper-Seaswirl-175-Outboard.aspx

We plan to use it for recreation for our 11, 10, and 8 years old kids -- skiing tubing, and a bit of fishing on about a 1,000 acre lake.

A general question about negotiating with dealers -- is there any room for it? Or is the price the price? This dealer just received this one in trade and they have serviced it for all its years.

Jmpellet

Cadet
Re: Any comments or advice on this boat I'm looking at today?

It's a 90hp Johnson and fiberglass with no carpeting

canyonken

Seaman

YES - there is always room for price change. You apply pressure on them if you are ready to buy NOW. Look it over. If you want it let them know you are buying right now this minute then ask again about what the price was since you forgot what it was and see where it goes from there.

Jmpellet

Cadet

That's more information from the link. You can't see the motor size in the picture. It's a 1999 Striper Seaswirl Boat 175 BOW RIDER with the 90 Johnson. List for $5995.

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a nice boat for your family. and with the outboard, easy to maintain, I dont know about the price, but in my area that seems like a deal.

So can alway negotiate with the dealer just like when buying a car, But remember, summer is coming so they are hoping that this thing moves for the price they want.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like a really nice boat. It has every feature I'd want except a bimini top. You can add that easily and cheaply enough, just ensure that it goes outside of the convertible top and is mounted high enough to allow you to stand fully upright under it.

That seems like a very good price, try to negotiate, but don't be afraid to pay asking price for it, if it's in great shape. Bring warm clothes and demand a test run. Ice-out was declared yesterday on Winnipesuakee. That boat should do about 38 to 42 MPH and the motor should hit 5500 RPM or more when wide open, if it's running right and propped correctly. If you have a GPS, bring it to check the speed, the speedometer in the boat may not be accurate. Don't be alarmed by a lot of smoke when the engine starts, that's normal for a two stroke outboard. It will diminish as it warms up.

Look for excessive cracking in the gelcoat. If that boat was used on Winnipesaukee, it may have been subjected to excessive pounding.

Philster

Captain

I am a Sea Swirl fan.

Check the ski locker. They floor area around them often needs attention on the Sea Swirls. It's a weak spot worth knowing about. It would never let that stop me from considering that brand. The floor, even on newer ones, just doesn't seem to have the right support around the locker.

As long as the boat is priced ok, you can offer just the way you would with a used car. The price looks fair, and the dealer is hoping to get 5500 or so.

If all looks okay with just the wear over the years that is expected, then I'd offer 5000 and hope to get down to 5500-5600 bucks. Negotiating is to be gentlemanly. The advertised price communicates what is expected.

Unless there is some oversight and you have clear leverage. If there is, then you can come in lower.

Jmpellet

Cadet

Thanks so much for this valuable info! We will be well informed when we get there. I will post my results.

Jmpellet

Cadet

Well...we bought the boat for $5,500. It has no spidering of the gelcoat, no scratches and the interior look pretty much brand new. The dealer had all the service records so we were pretty impressed. Thanks for the advice this morning! They took it out on Lake Winni for us and sure enough our GPS read 40mph so that was great advice. It's a great size for a starter boat for us to learn but will be fun for our kids.

Wish it had a ski pole but I guess that could be added later? Now onto buying a couple of dock sections...

Thanks!

The Rooster

Ensign

Congratulations, "Jmpellet". It looks to be in excellent shape. Enjoy !!!

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats! Hope it gives you years of great memories.

Jmpellet

Cadet

Knock on wood and hopefully not any of the rotted variety!

Philster

Captain

Congratulations! Happy Boating!

southkogs

Staff member

Woohoo!! Congratulations. It's a good looking boat. Hope y'all enjoy it ... you might even get an early summer to go along with it.

tpenfield

Staff member

Well...we bought the boat for $5,500. It has no spidering of the gelcoat, no scratches and the interior look pretty much brand new. The dealer had all the service records so we were pretty impressed. Thanks for the advice this morning! They took it out on Lake Winni for us and sure enough our GPS read 40mph so that was great advice. It's a great size for a starter boat for us to learn but will be fun for our kids.

Wish it had a ski pole but I guess that could be added later? Now onto buying a couple of dock sections...

Thanks!

Congrats on the 'new' boat. Looks nice.

Post some pics when you have it out over the coming months.