any cleaver hints to install gimble bearing?

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have the manual but after reading it ,i'm wondering if there are any hints to install my gimble bearing? It's a 87 Alpha 1. It was a bear to get out and I'm hoping it will go in easier. Notches in or out? Thanks Ernie.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: any cleaver hints to install gimble bearing?

The proper tool for the job and a BIG hammer.

The proper driver tool contacts the OUTER bearing carrier housing, not the bearing itself, so as not to damage the bearing on installation

Pay particular attention to the crimped band, rotate until the opening exposes the grease passage into the bearing, mark the outside rim with a felt pen so that on installation you lane line that up with the grease passage in the transom plate.

Use the correct alignment tool to align the bearing with the engine drive coupler.

Grumman59

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an installation tool I got of ebay which works with an alignment bar.

But you could probably use a suitable piece of pipe as a mandrel as long as the end is square and only contacts the outer part of the bearing.

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

I built a tool out of a threaded pipe and half of a PVC pipe coupling. It fits on the bearing perfectly contacting only the outer bearing housing. Saved me three weeks of delivery time.

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All of the above and CLEAN the bearing area after you pull the old one. A slight amount of corrosion will make the new install not go in straight. And it may not seat all the way back.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Put the bearing in the freezer the night before.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

+1 on the freezer trick but put it in a plastic ziplock bag and get all the air out of the bag you can to keep moisture and ice off the bearing. i also bought some powdered graphite and rubbed it in the bearing housing to help the outer race slide in. and keep the bearing straight, don't let it **** to the side. i had to hit the install tool pretty hard too. when it seats, the sound is different.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Don't mean to jump this thread but! does anyone have the dimensions of the installation tool to drive the bearing in place or the outer diameter of the carrier of the bearing for alpha 1 gen2??

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

+3 on the freezer trick. I did that overnight and it was about 110 degrees outside when I installed it. It slid in with about 3 hammer taps. I used a piece of threaded pipe with a flange threaded on one end, on the flange I used a piece of 1/2 inch plywood cut out like a doughnut that was slightly smaller than the outer race to make sure I never touched the bearing. It will change sounds as stated, from a metallic ping to a thud when it hits bottom, give it a few more light taps to make sure its seated all the way around, grease it so you can see its fully greased (I rotated it a few times as I greased) align and install the drive.