Any big photoshop users? (56k beware)

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone here a bigtime user of photoshop for fun or work? I'm not an expert, but I know how to do a few tricks.<br /><br />A few variants of Sig arms' new 1911 (Came out in November 03)<br />
20%20dollar.jpg
Exotic%20blue.jpg
<br />
Satin%20silver.jpg
American%20flag.jpg
<br /><br />This is a background image I made to use in a slide presentation for Naval Science at the Academy about Ohio Class Submarines
SSBN%20BG.jpg
<br /><br />So common folks, I'd be interested in seeing what you've done with photoshop!

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Any big photoshop users? (56k beware)

Jason – you have entirely too much free time on your hands. :) I spent too many years involved in the design and support of CAD systems to even entertain the idea of sitting at home and playing with pixels. They are evil and they will steal your soul! :) <br /><br />But you mentioned submarines…I used to enjoy visiting with a nuke capt’n several years ago. Got a whole new perspective on the politics of the Vietnam Conflict, from the inside out. We would drink beers and he would toss brainteasers at me. One he tossed out but never answered, maybe you know:<br /><br />If a bird is flying in the hull of a submerged vessel, then lands anywhere on the structure, does the overall weight of the submerged vessel increase?<br /><br />Btw, the .45-cal Colt M1911A that Sig is based on is (was) on BATF’s list of military curios and relics, and as such is (was) exempted from Federal and almost all state(s) gun control restrictions. I do not know its status today; I used to have an FFL in the early 90’s.

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice

To answer the bird question, it *shouldn't* but that Is my educated guess, since the bird is in an enclosed atmosphere, it already did its share of displacement, but I could be wrong.<br /><br />As for the BATF and gun control, gun control is hitting what you shoot at ;) I can't wait for the AWB of 94 to go down this fall.<br /><br />What CAD packages did you use? My experience is mostly with Rhino 3d, which I've been playing with on and off since 7th grade. I also have a basic knowledge of autocad, and I've played with CATIA a few times, but that program definately gives me the shaft most of the time :) Flogging pixels has always kind of been a side interest of mine. Now that I think about it, I have too many interests I think.

18rabbit

Captain

Here’s my thought on the bird: if the vessel is at the surface and the hatch is open, the bird swoops in and is flying around. No addition weight to the vessel. Now close the hatch and submerge, the bird is flying the whole time. No additional weight to the vessel. Now, if the bird lands… ??? Then I thought if the bird is sitting inside the vessel when the hatch is closed and it submerges, then the bird starts to fly, does the vessel weigh any less? Then my head started to hurt. :) <br /><br />I was involved with microelectronics engineering/design/fabrication applications. Most of the graphics were vector based for either topology design or output from algorithms for spatial verification, measuring propagation delays, and electrical continuity verifications… I had enough involvement with Autocad to know to stay away from it. It’s kind of ironic; Detroit was one of the last frontiers to embrace CAD. The closest I ever got to Detroit was supporting Delco Electronics in Kokomo, ID. They had a Calcomp flat bed plotter big enough to draw a full-sized car to scale. They wouldn’t let me ride it, tho. :( But McDonnell-Douglas in St. Louis, MO had the 747 flt-simulators. :D :D :D

SoulWinner

Commander

As long as the bird remains in flight, it is not exerting any force upon the deck of the sub, therefore the submerged boat need not take the weight of the bird into account to maintain neutral buoyancy. However, when the bird lands, it's weight is then exerted against the deck, and the boat would need to increase buoyancy to offset the increased weight of the sub plus the weight of the bird. Am I right?

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

The bird question answer is no. Remember, for every action their is an equivalent reaction. When the bird is flying within the submarine, it must exert lift to remain airborne. The amount of lift generated by its wings is equal to the bird's weight. That lift force is exerted through the air to the hull of the submarine. As the bird lands, its lift goes to zero but that is replaced by direct contact force on the hull.

18rabbit

Captain

Jim - Never thought of it that way. The bird’s lift is a result of air moving over the wing. The submerged submarine is an enclosed environment so the volume of air never increases nor decreases with the bird in flight or at rest. I am not seeing the ‘lift’ angle as influencing the overall ‘weight’ of the vessel.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by jtexas:<br />What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
African or European?

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

18Rabbit, good thoughts. Remember, though, that air has mass, and is in fact a "fluid." It can be hard to picture that sometimes, but we are actually living in a fluid mass of air. The amount of air in the sub is a defined quantity when it submerged. If you were standing under a helicopter whan it took off, you would feel the downpressure. That force that you feel is part of what is pushing the helicopter up. In fact, you are in part supporting the weight of the helo. As the helo lifts higher, the weight distribution from the downthrust is spread out over a larger area, so you begin to feel it less and less until it becomes negligible.<br />Wish I could write thoughts as well as I think 'em :cool: <br />Watcha think?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

So if the helicopter is taking off from a commercial scale, the weight reading wouldn't change until the helicopter reached an altitude of x, where x depends on the sensitivity of the scale?

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Say the helo weighed 14,000 lbs, and its sitting on your scale and you read that number. The helo starts up the turbines and engages the rotors. As soon as the pilot applies pitch to the blades, the blades develop lift. That lift is distributed through the air to the ground; not exactly directly below because we're dealing with a fluid. It disperses itself and you would see a decrease in the weight on the scale. When the helo punches the throttles for liftoff, you may see a slight increase in weight from acceleration force in the vertical direction. As the helo gains altitude, the weight becomes even more dispersed over a larger area and as you watch the scale you would see the 14k lb drop off drastically. We didn't just remove 14k lbs of weight from the earth. The mass is constant; the weight of the helo is being distributed through the air to the ground over a large area, until that area becomes so large it is relatively immeasurable at any location; its no longer concentrated in one spot. Think of it like a garden hose. If you have 50 psi of pressure out your garden hose, and hold it right up to an object, you can push things with it. Walk back further from the object, and the effect diminishes because the force is distributed over a larger area.

18rabbit

Captain

In your example, you are suggesting a dynamic or mechanical force to accomplish lift by directing/increasing the downward thrust. A bird gets its lift by altering/lower the static pressure of the atmosphere on the top of the wing’s surface in motion. It does not create a downward thrust; the unchanged static pressure of the atmosphere on the bottom of the wing pushes the bird up. Now a bat would be different…more like your helo example.