Any automotive exhaust gurus in the house?

Homerr

Commander
I'm looking at a custom Gibson 'Cat-back' system for my Ford Ranger. This is a DIY direct bolt-on.<br /><br />Are these worth the $300 they ask, or can a local shop do the same thing for less?<br /><br />H.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Any automotive exhaust gurus in the house?

I have always felt that a good local shop can do the same. That is if you have a good shop that you are familiar with.<br />Also I have always felt that "Cat back" is a bad name, because it implies the catalytic converter will be replaced. It is not replaced in those systems. So they should be "Aft of the Cat" systems! :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by TilliamWe:<br /> I have always felt that a good local shop can do the same. That is if you have a good shop that you are familiar with.<br />Also I have always felt that "Cat back" is a bad name, because it implies the catalytic converter will be replaced. It is not replaced in those systems. So they should be "Aft of the Cat" systems! :D
Hmmmm? Howsa 'bout 'AftCat' Systems.<br /><br />Homer, I'd ask a local muffler shop about comparative restriction in factory vs aftermarket hi-flow cats. The factory cat might be a bottleneck causing anything behind it to be no more than window dressing.

Homerr

Commander

Thanks guys... <br /><br />H.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

They are worth it if you want the few exta horse, sometimes better fuel economy, and a more agressive sound. For $300, I would check to see if its stainless. If not, it will have a 3 to 5 year life. The major brands usually deliver a quality product. But I have seen one of the polished stainless systems require a lot of work to fit the VW sedan it was designed for while I was waiting for the bay to open. So it can be hit or miss. I would still stick with the big brand names regardless.<br /><br />Mark

Homerr

Commander

Yes, the Gibson system for $300 is stainless.<br /><br />They have a lesser quality aluminized steel for around $230.<br /><br />I would definitely get the stainless.<br />My truck is just over the 60k mark, so an exhaust job is probably coming up soon.<br /><br />Gibson offers quite a few systems for my truck, but I'd like to get some opinions from the pros first.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />H.