antique lures

FSHKPR

Ensign
anybody here collect antique lures? it seems like it could be a fun hobby. i have been looking for some older lures for a couple decorating ideas i have for the cottage. thinking of getting in to a little deeper. any suggestions on where to find old lures, and maybe look up some history about them too, already did the ebay thing and have found a couple that i liked, jeeeez i wish i had grampas old tackle box now.

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: antique lures

I got a Tackle box from each of 2 grandfathers. Some pretty good stuff, but my crown jewel is a fishing kit that has a mid 30's ACME reel, rod, line, some lures, and a lighter all in a metal carrying case. All new, never has had line on it, or rod assembled (it is a section rod). Wanted to know the value of it and went to some antic reel sites. What they told me about values there was to just look at completed auctions on eBay. Also, I don't know if Dane County still has that big Fishing Expo in the spring, but I went about 7 years ago and they had rows and rows of antic lures on display there.<br /><br />Jeff

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

More on mid 30's fishing kit:<br /><br />I forgot to mention: On ebay I saw many reels like the one in my kit, but none that had never been used. So they were pretty beat up and usually sold for under $20, but since I saw no reels in my condition or any whole fishing kits, I assume my kit is pretty valuable.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it came from your grandfather it is more likely priceless than worthless. It is all about memories not dollars.<br />Later,

mattttt25

Commander

read a short article on the subject once, all i remember is antique usually means made of wood. any plastic lure is not going to be worth much.

Bondo

Staff member

I, personally Don't have a Clue........<br /><br />But,.. I've a close Friend who's In the Business.......<br /><br />If you're interested, I can give you his email address,+ He'll Gladly give you an Appraisal......

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bondo, <br /><br />I'm interested in having my fishing kit appraised. Looked, but didn't find where to send you a private message or email through the board. If you can send me a PM or emial through Iboats, I'll give you my email addres.<br /><br />Jeff

Bondo

Staff member

This is My Spam mailbox,.....<br />So,.... Put Something in the Subject line that I'm going to SEE........<br /><br />I'll keep an eye out for Your email,+ Your next Post on this thread to know when to delete that address........

mattttt25

Commander

just realised that the article i read was in this month's boating magazine. i read it again last night, good info. pick up a copy.