Antifoul.?

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To antifoul or not to antifoul...<br /><br />Last year didn't, and boy did the bottom get covered in goop!<br /><br />This year, thinkin it may be a good idea..<br /><br />What is the proper procedure for this process? Is it just as simple as brush, or spray on? Do I need to avoid the bellows?<br /><br />And if do I need to remove the boat from the trailer? and if so how does one accomplish this on his driveway?<br /><br />Boat is a 1984 19 foot Doral. With a 3.8l V6 OMC Stringer drive.<br /><br />Thanks for your help

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Antifoul.?

If your talking about putting antifouling paint on the drive there is a special paint for that. The paint that you put on the bottom of your boat, if used on the drive can cause corrosion issues, it has copper in it, and should not be put on disimiluar metals.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Antifoul.?

Things to consider before you paint....Once you've done it there is no going back. You will still get growth, but it is a lot easier to remove. And you will have toutch up or repaint every season or it looks like crap.I did my last boat, but found if you keep up up on during the season its no more work than cleaning it at the end of the season than it is to keep the paint in good shape, and in my opinion an unpainted bottom looks better.<br /><br /> Jim