anti freeze for winterizing,

ulster

Cadet
Would like confirmation on using anti freeze for winterizing,<br />We took a large plastic barrel and cut it to size so that we could cover the water intake on the out drive, we filled the barrel and started the motor and ran it until the stat opened, we waited until the liquid in the barrel was quite hot and then checked all hoses which were hot.<br />We then moved to the second motor and completed the same procedure.<br />Our thinking was if the stat is opened and the antifreeze is circulating it has to be good,<br />Note we also re checked the freezing point of the anti freeze after completion to ensure we had good protection -30c

KaGee

Admiral
Re: anti freeze for winterizing,

Check the FAQ's... plenty of info there on winterizing. Sounds ok to me. <br /><br />Some here do prefer the dry method for winterizing.

Bondo

Staff member

Sounds like you've got it pretty well covered......<br /><br />Personally, I store engines Dry........

Trent

Captain

Im like Bondo. I just pull the customers petcocks and drain the engine. Some folks like using antifreeze thinking it will give a added protection for corrosion.

ulster

Cadet

Thanks guy's for the input,<br />Getting close to retirement and not as flexable as I use to be, those petcocks are really hard to get at.<br />Just thought the old barrel would be easier for us.