Anti-Fouling Outdrive Paint Help

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Four Winns bowrider with an OMC Cobra that stays in salt-water all season. I had my bottom painted with an ablative which I am happy with, considering the conditions it's put through. However, the outdrive was painted with some kind of "anti-fouling" paint from a spray can. It doesn't do anything because after 4 weeks the outdrive is covered in barnicles and slime. Because of this, I have to pull the boat every month and clean it. Inside the gimbal area I can see that area is infested with barnicles too. Stuff like hoses and bellows. <br /><br />Anyone have an idea as to what I can do to protect the outdrive? <br /><br />Ablative or a traditional bottom paint? <br /><br />What can I do to those hoses and bellows?<br /><br />Any special prep methods?<br /><br />Thanks! McKenzie

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anti-Fouling Outdrive Paint Help

By the way, The boat is moored in a harbor in the northeast (RI, if that matters any.)

sloopy

Commander

It would help if you could tell us which spray on paint you used. The Interlux (sp) spray anti-foul works great.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

McKensie, I feel for you. I have had the same experience. Last year I used a spray antifouling paint that worked fairly well, but it was taken off the market. Prior to that I used a brushable antifouling that worked great. It too was taken off the market. Too toxic I think.<br /><br />As of now I do not have an answer. A possibility that I have not investigated is to use Tri-lux. This antifouling paint is made for aluminum hulls. The outdrive would need to be specially primed to protect the aluminum from the tri-lux.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I used the Trilux 33 anti-fouling paint for aluminum. Its readily available and seems to work.

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

anything special you do to prep the outdrive? sand? prime? what about the rubber hoses and bellows. i have to take the outdrive off, right? thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

McKenzie. I would follow the paint's directions on priming, since I believe the paint could damage the aluminum if it is not primed properly. Also, the parts of the outdrive NOT exposed to moving water while underway will collect the most barnacles. Make sure they have the most protection. Also, barnacles grow inside my Mercruiser's water intake passages(from the intake grate to the water pump). I pull the gratings and use a screwdriver to scrape 'em out.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I am in an identical situation.<br />Have just lifted the tub. Covered in barnicles and coral. Waterblasted the leg, while still wet, scrapped with paint scrapper, then sanded. Used Internation paints. The etching primer was in a spray can, about US$7, then Internation 2000 Anti Foul, specifically for leg, US$35 for 1 Litre. 2 coats. Used half the tin. Plus use it up to 300mm on rear of boat either side of the leg. This time used red, as previous coat black. Now i know when it wears as can see the origonal black through it.Works well, and gee, does the boat go faster when clean!!!!<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a different application - same idea though. I have an outboard on a bracket. The o/b tilts out of the water so no problem, but the bracket is (I think) aluminum and it needs something since half of it is always in the water.<br /><br />I used a spray called "Classic Yacht" outdrive anti-foulant (bought at Boat-US). It came with a can of primer. Never one barnacle - just green slime that wiped off.<br /><br />Then they took it off the market for some toxicity reason (I wonder how much of it I've been breathing over the years). I used the end of it this past Spring. Have to find something else.

alcan

Commander

There are a few more things to concider after a properly applied coat of anti fouling paint of the correct type. Sun light. Marine growth needs sun light to thrive. If there is any way you can reduce light you will reduce groth. Some ideas, moore to the shady side of the dock. Back into the slip so your drive is under the dock or the swim step meets the dock forming a cover. Hang a tarp or cover from stern or swim step. If possible moore on the north side of the dock. Brush your drive off once a week. I don't think there is a way to keep every barny off the hoses. They do not hold paint well. Give this some thought. Do the best you can with the situation you have. Talk to your neibors on the dock, ask what works for them. You should be able the get the barny count down to less than a dozen in a year. Could you live with that?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

They took the tin based paints off the market for DIYers, the commercial yards still can apply it on larger boats. The tin based ones were the Mircon 33, Alumaspray, and the Tempo spray. Now they have the Trilux for alumimun which has cuprous oxide in it (copper) but you use a primer that insulates the alu from the copper. That is what my yard used on mine this year, we'll see how it works.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Mc,not too many choices for the aluminum drive.Take whats available and follow directions.availability changing every year.As far as hoses and bellows and strainers,what i have done with good results is to take a couple of hand fuls of marine grease and rub it in to all folds in the bellows and coat the hoses.Get it anywhere you dont want growth.It wont work as well as antifoul paint but it will buy you a month or two.Charlie

lvg

Cadet

We got screwed when the government said no more Tin based paints for aluminum out drives and hulls, knowing full well that tin is the only electrolysis free paint we can apply to our aluminum. Banning TBT on all other hull types made since, because they can use copper based paints. I have gone a full two years with tin on my out drives and still had no problems with fouling.<br />Painting an out drive with copper paint even, if a barrier coat is present, is rolling the dice. If a scratch develops down to the aluminum, the copper will eat your out drive in no time. First of all, you will never get barrier coat epoxy in all of the nooks of your out drive, so you will have cooper directly on your aluminum in some little hidden area. Ouch, What a nightmare!<br /><br />As of this date there is nothing on the market that can be applied to aluminum that will not guarantee electrolysis, work as effectively as tin, and is not cost prohibited.