Antenna location

richard99

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings, all - <br /><br />I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere - I couldn't find it. Would someone enlighten me as to what the proper location would be for my 8'Shakespeare antenna? I read in another post that there should be at least 5' between the radio and the "business end" of the antenna. Does that mean the tip? If so, it seems that mounting the antenna next to the "driver's seat" would be okay, even if the radio is mounted in the same location, on the console. I'm clearly confused - your opinions, please?

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Antenna location

I would keep it a few feet away from the base of the antenna. Note that there is no set formula here per-se as there are a lot of variables (radio power, type of antenna, material betwen the radio and the antenna, etc.). You can run a test by holding the antenna where you want it to see if you get any adverse effects. If you get feedback, then it is too close.<br /><br />Amir

18rabbit

Captain

You may also want to consider the FCC warning that is inside the operator’s manual for your radio. It tells you how far (3-meters) the broadcasting antenna should be away (above) from your head.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have the VHF in a glove box. 2' away is the vertical 1/2 wave. Excellent range to USCG. Duuh isno hurtme ifeel. A cellphone against your brain is safe?