Anothr junk rebuilt carb?????

aktrucker

Seaman Apprentice
I purchased a "rebuilt" carb and when I opened it up to change jets/metering rods I was a little irritated as to what I found....

Boat:1979 Bayliner 21' Skagitt Sunbridge
Engine:Volvo/GM 350, 260hp
Outdrive:Volvo 280 s/p

The Quadrajet I purchased as a "rebuilt marine carb" looks to be another converted automotive carb....serial numbers ground off. It did have the turned down overflow tube though.

I found that 2 of the 4 brass tubes that go from the top plate into the mid plate were bent/cracked...not even sure what these are for since my original carb didn't have them??? Primary setup is WAY lean: 70 jets/53 metering rods, and one of the rods was BENT and looked like it had been straightened changing the length of the rod.....ugggg. Also, the 2 idle air screws are bent slightly and wobble in the threads making me think air could be getting by....

Does anybody know what the 4 brass tubes are for, and what type of effect the 2 cracked ones might have on operation?

Also, I have found thru research I should have 69 jets/40 metering rods, CJ secondary rods and the K hanger..I do have the K hanger, so they at least got that right......

I have left 2 phone messages, and now have sent 1 email to "XXXXXX" Company (will be revealed if I don't get response/corrective action) and have not gotten a response or been able to get in touch with them.....

Are the brass tubes replaceable, and if so where can I get them? I have found places to get jets/metering rods.....so if I don't get it fixed by the builder, I will attempt to do the repairs myself if possible.

Just sucks to be out $330 and get crap like I got........BTW, my old carb was total junk, the gasket surfaces between the plates have been eroded/pitted by corrosion so getting them to seal properly will be impossible.

MCL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anothr junk rebuilt carb?????

Your still better off than me.Carb got lost in freight,nobody to blame.350usd out and even had to pay tax and custom fees for it since it was "part" of my engine.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Hope it wasn't the same place I dealt with in Largo FL.

aktrucker

Seaman Apprentice

I am wishing I would have just bought a new Edelbrock Marine and started tuning.....it would have only cost about a hundred bucks more and I would have a new carb, not another POS used carb..........

mdlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yall need to send your carbs to http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/. National carb in Jacksonville fla. I had 2 quadrajets done there,, they came back like new. I live about 20min form Jacksonville,, so I walked my carbs in, but the mgr told me they did most of there biz over the net... I took a look at there shop... it is a real top notch operation

zbnutcase

Commander

Threre are some really crappy remans out there, don't EVER buy a Sierra one! Just a heads up.

zbnutcase

Commander

And I wish Edelbrock would have kept the Q-Jets and offered a marine version!

aktrucker

Seaman Apprentice

I just received a call from the builder, he is starting a new rebuild for me now and says it will be a Volvo/Marine (P/N 17059) original this time. I have to return the old carb to him and he will send the other carb to me so hopefully turn-around time will be quick. We will see how this all plays out, maybe it was built on a Monday or Friday.......

christoner2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I5 Carb? I just purchased onr and engine had a bog when the secondaries open. He told me to bend the metering rod hanger up(wrong). When I removed the metering rods, there was two different number rods in it. I called him, and neither one was right. I haven't even opened it up to see what else is wrong, yet!

aktrucker

Seaman Apprentice

I5 Carb? I just purchased onr and engine had a bog when the secondaries open. He told me to bend the metering rod hanger up(wrong). When I removed the metering rods, there was two different number rods in it. I called him, and neither one was right. I haven't even opened it up to see what else is wrong, yet!

ummmmm.....yeah. I did a lot of research on their rebuilds and couldn't find anyone saying anything bad about them, until I started having problems then I found all kinds of people complaining. The worst part for me is I live in Alaska and it is hard to find stuff like that up here. My old carb was complete junk or I would have had a local rebuild my old one.

I had really thought about just buying a new Edelbrock and calling it done, but I couldn't see spending the extra $100 plus the spacer to make it work....hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?!?!?!

aktrucker

Seaman Apprentice

I just received a call from the builder, he is starting a new rebuild for me now and says it will be a Volvo/Marine (P/N 17059) original this time. I have to return the old carb to him and he will send the other carb to me so hopefully turn-around time will be quick. We will see how this all plays out, maybe it was built on a Monday or Friday.......
If the second one comes in junk I will be "sunk" for what's left of the season since I really don't have the money for a new one now.....and I have been tuning and burning gas and replacing parts chasing a problem that was, I am sure, the carb the entire time.....in fact I could have bought that Edelbrock...but my ignition and fuel system is ALL new, except carb and fuel tank.

SeaBolt1

Recruit

I got a reman Quadrajet 4 barrel from I5 for my 87 350 Merc Magnum and now I have a bad bog when the secondaries open. What are the things I should look at first ? Thanks !

aktrucker

Seaman Apprentice

I got a reman Quadrajet 4 barrel from I5 for my 87 350 Merc Magnum and now I have a bad bog when the secondaries open. What are the things I should look at first ? Thanks !

I would start with checking metering rods, making sure they are the correct rods, both the same, and not bent........ Then kick yourself for buying one from "those guys".... I hope it works out for you, like I said before I really wish I had just bought the new Edelbrock, not much more money and so much easier for us "non carb guys" to tune.