ANOTHER were to mount my smart tabs

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, I sent an e-mail to nauticus tonight as well. Were do you think I should mount my smart tabs, on the blue line, or on the red line. Normally I would just mount them where the blue lines are and call it good, but the transom leans forward in that spot. You can see it in the side view picture. Also, the area were the blue spot is doesn't have any real structure. I believe it is mostly fiberglass, and on the inside is foam. There is no real wood core there.

The area were the red line is were the transom has the wood core, and it is sloped with the motor.

Thought maybe the "experts" on iBoats could help me out. This is on a 1995 Four Winns Freedom 170

Attachments

• P1020428.JPG
    P1020428.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1020427.JPG
    P1020427.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 0

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: ANOTHER were to mount my smart tabs

I'd mount on the red line. With that flat of a bottom the blue line is only going to be marginally in the water at speed.

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The picture is deceiving. This is a v bottom boat. It has a step in the haul , that is why it appears to be flat at the angle the picture was taken.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

A pic of the hull underside would help.

I have a couple sets mounted, but am no expert.
My 2 cents is that if you have a V just ahead of the middle red line,
then the "water flow quality" may not be all that good. Probably aerated.

The blue will work if you have 11" from the middle of the blue line center upwards at a perpendicular with the blue line. How much do you have there?

A pic of the hull underside will get you more opinions...

:)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I'd go with the Blue line,...
Further outboard gives the tabs Better leverage, to do their job...

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Blue line. You want them as far out from the centerline as is practical.

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a couple of more pictures of the underside of the boat. I agree, the best place to put them is were the blue line is. I just am afraid that without a wood backing there the fiberglass may not be enough to support the forces applied by the Smart Tabs, and that the transom is angled forward right there. If no one thinks that will be a problem, that is were I will put them.

Attachments

• P1020456.JPG
    P1020456.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P1020457.JPG
    P1020457.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 0

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I vote for the outside position too. It does look as though a spacer of some sort is needed to account for the forward slant of the transom.

I would stop at a home center and pick up a PVC board, usually found in the mill work section. Look for the 1x4 board, then cut a few pieces and laminate up a spacer.

I suggest using the PVC board because: 1) It won't rot. 2) Easy to work with and cut with hand saw, or table saw. 3) It glues up using plain old PVC cement for plumbing. 4) Seeing as its under compression, it will be more than strong enough.

Through bolt it to the transom using stainless hardware a nice big fender washers. Don't forget the 4200 to seal it all up tight.

Anyway, its just a thought. Hope it gives you some ideas. Post some pics of the finished install.

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It will probably be a week or so before I actually mount them. I'd like to hear from Nauticus as well.

I'm trying to stop a porpoising problem. First thing I'm going to do is move the trolling motor batteries to the bow. I think its porpoising because I have a heavy 90hp four stroke motor hanging off the back. If that doesn't work, the tabs from my old boat are going on this one.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I see the 'angle' issue, however, I had a pair of Smart Tabs on my old Pro-Line and I recall them being adjustable for both angle and downforce.

I think they'll work for you, but I agree- get in touch with Nauticus and let them see your pics. Their customer support is really, really good.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

It will probably be a week or so before I actually mount them. I'd like to hear from Nauticus as well.

I'm trying to stop a porpoising problem. First thing I'm going to do is move the trolling motor batteries to the bow. I think its porpoising because I have a heavy 90hp four stroke motor hanging off the back. If that doesn't work, the tabs from my old boat are going on this one.

That is the best plan of action. Get as much weight re-distributed as possible to the front and then take a test drive. If its working, skip the smart tabs and make more changes to the boats load.