Another VRO question

puma4440

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

I've read pages of threads about the VRO system, and still quite make a decision.

Last fall, I bought a boat with an 87' 60TLCUC on it, I ran it on muffs before buying it, and it sounded great. It's running about #120 compression on 2 cylinders, and #125 on the third. I checked the plugs after the muff test, and they wern't "overly oily" or "bone dry" so there doesn't seem to be any indications of a malfunctioning VRO (from my very limited experience with it). The PO said it worked fine.

My concerns are that the only thing I know about the system is from what I read on here, some say its great, others say its the devil, I don't know if I should keep using it, or disable the system and run on pre-mix. I've read about marking the tank and running it to watch how fast (if) it drops. I'm not sure they put an alarm on that year(still learning:)). I'd hate to kill an innocent engine due to my ignorance.

Or should I just take it to the mechanic and have him go over it with a fine toothed comb, and go with his reccomendations?

Thank you for any advice.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Another VRO question

I premix all my motors..thats my choice..I just desire to remove any possible thing that could ruin my engine if it is not needed. premix works great for me, never ever had a motor fail due to lack of oil.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Look at the smaller end of the VRO. There should be a small wiring harness there that leads to a rubber electrical connector. If so, the VRO has a warning system.

NOTE: The early warning systems had three wires, the later improved VRO's had four wires.

To check to warning horn... engine not running, key in the ON position, find the TAN wire that is protruding from the cylinder head and ground it to the head. The warning horn should sound off. Let us know what you find there.

Marking the tank and using a 50/1 premix temporarily tells the tale of whether the VRO is using oil or not as you already know. That would be the route I'd go.

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I removed mine due to replacement cost or rebuild cost. Mine was on a 1986 120 HP. It worked but had some oil leaking. My boat guy did not recommend rebuilding it so replace or remove was the option. A fuel pump over the whole vro was cheaper.