Another timing topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Countrybois

Cadet
Is there a way to bypass the thunderbolt timing advance module. Here's the scenario. I tried to set the timing with a light and had no success, it seems that the balancer moved. So I ran it up to about 3000 rpm's and set it by ear. Maximum rpm's with no pinging. Now she runs like a kitten, it will restart fine after it's hot if I restart it right away, but if it sit's for any amount of time I have to turn it over for quite a while before it will fire. So I'm thinking it's either vapor lock or timing is advanced a little too far. Is there a way to bypass the electronic advancing module so I can be sure it's not prematurely advancing the timing at idle? Next question, does anyone have a source for timing tape so that I can tell just how far it is advancing? Right now I am guessing, but it doesn't appear that it is truly advancing 22 degrees as it should be. Unit is a 1986 305.

skyking_22

Cadet
Re: Another timing topic

On mine there was a purple wire with a cap on it right below the carb. This wire must be grounded in order to disable the advance while setting the timing.

Countrybois

Cadet

I don't recall a purple wire, but I will check again. There are 2 wires from the amplifier to the distributor, white/red and white/green and one wire I assume from the throttle connected with the white/red lead from the amplifier.

skyking_22

Cadet

I just checked the manual again. It is a purple/white wire that allows the engine to operate in base timing mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.