another stupid decarb question.

lmoreau

Seaman
Have 89 150 Merc. Runs great..will die occasionally when I put it into gear if it is cold. Anywho...previous owner said it's never had a decarb treatment...is this asking for trouble as it's been 15 years, or should it be done? Motor is in great shape and runs great, and I don't want to mess anything up...<br /><br />If decarb is required, should it be deep creep/power tune or seafoam concentrate?

jdstephwacotx

Seaman
Re: another stupid decarb question.

I am far from a mechanic as I am currently using this site to help me get my very first boat/motor running.<br /><br />But I can tell you that I have probably read somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 - 3000 posts in my few months on board and the overwhelming consensus is that SeaFoam is the best and it always helps in some form or fashion.<br /><br />There are two different decarb instructions in the FAQ folder that are very easy to follow. I just did one of them myself and I hope to see some results this weekend.<br /><br /><br />I just thought I would give you the concensus and maybe save you from having to read as many posts.<br /><br />--J.D.

jdstephwacotx

Seaman
Re: another stupid decarb question.

Check out the FAQ's. It has everything you need.<br /><br />It clears out the built up carbon in the engine, carbs, etc.<br /><br />I'm not sure as to the frequency. Some say that once you do it if you regularly add a little to your tank it will keep it from building up in the first place.