Another steering question from a boat rookie

jeffrayy

Cadet
Ok I have just bought 2003 omni-pro fishing boat with '72 or '73 (still trying to clear that up) mercury 850 (85 hp). The steering cable is frozen so I am in the process of replacing it (it is a rack and pinion).

Here comes the question. The old one is labeled "DETMAR 10.5 ft SYSTEM". When I take the measurements for the new one I come out with 115 inches. Well that works out to roughly 9.5 feet. According to the instruction on how to measure I should round up to 10 ft. That is where I am confused. The old was 10.5 which I don't think you can get any more. So should I go with 10' or 11'?

Also, the cable is snaked through a conduit built out of fiberglass on the gunwale. It is very, very stiff and I can't seem to get the motor end (the rod is to straight for the bends) through it and the other end will not come out of the mechinism. Can cut that thing with a cut off wheel and an angle grinder?

Thanks for any help!

Geoff

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Another steering question from a boat rookie

Call iboats customer service and order a new cable they will confirm the measurements with you. got a picture of the problem???

jeffrayy

Cadet

Thanks, if I get home before dark tomorrow I will try to take some pics. of the cable issue.

jeffrayy

Cadet

Yeah, that is the formula that I used to get my measurements. I guess the part that threw me off was that I came up with a different number than what was on the current cable.

Can I just switch to the rotary system? Does it come with everything that I need other than the steering wheel (which I all ready have)?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The systems are complete except the wheel.