another shift problem

Stings

Seaman Apprentice
i have a merc 140. the shift interrupter switch should kill the engine for a split second. that i do know. i have it sent with a volt meter when i move the v shaped plastic manually. i have had luck in the past doing it that way. my problem is when i use the lever to put it in gear it wont move the v shaped plastic. i can see the cable and everything move but it looks like it has to much travel in the tube. does it sound like i need to shorten the cable?

kcole683

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: another shift problem

The shift interrupt works when tension is put on the cable while shifting out of gear while running.<br /> That is the only time you should have tension enough to move the v off center to trip the switch.<br />Many shifting problems are caused by to high of an idle speed too.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Is it out of the water, on muffs? The "V" will only move if there is resistance to the shifting, and you'll only typically get resistance when the prop is in the water.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The important thing here is that the interupter only operates when coming OUT of gear. The last thing you need is for the engine to be hindered when you're putting load on it. This is something most people (except the previous 2 posters) seem to miss. The best way to set the switch up is to follow the instruction in the Merc manual EXACTLY. I have fixed many, many of these and they work well if set up right. <br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Chris......