another sea king year and fuelmix question

fd203

Cadet
I hope someonecan help I purchased outboard and need to be educated. the model number is GG9016B and serial # 65X634200 I think its supposed to be 12 HP but I dont know year, also having trouble finding correct fuel oil mix and what type to use, who ever mixed the fuel before me mixed 50.1 and I believe thats to rich becuase it smokes and sputters alot. may need a carb kit put in, can you still find them? and the tiller handle is broke off but I am trying Ebay for that unless anybody has a better place? Thanks.

waldron 1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: another sea king year and fuelmix question

1956, 12 hp, 24:1 fuel ratio, tcw3 oil.

fd203

Cadet

thanks, the info comes in handy. do you know of any manuals for this particular motor? like how to rebuild carb. and how to adjust the points. I need to do this in the near future.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A service manual for your motor may be hard to find.Your motor was built by Gale A devision of OMC.There is a chance it shares some design caricteristics with the Evinrude 14 circa 1952.<br /> It also may share parts with the Evinrude 15 circa 1955.It also may be a strictly Gale assembled motor.It does share some specifications.<br /> Champion J6C plugs set at .030,points set at .020.<br /> You may find a reprint service manual at ken cook.<br /> 50:1 is too lean a mix and you will find 24:1 ( more oil)smokes a lot especially in a barrel.

fd203

Cadet

Thanks for the good info, I hate to beat a dead horse and I know some of these questions have been answered before but one more before I throw this thing in the lake. I do have it running but there seems to be a light oil film in the barrel after it runs and idils for 5 or so minutes. dont think its coming from lower unit but im not sure if thats normal for a 2 stroke but i think its coming from exhaust. Ive been a 4 cycle user for a short time before I took this project on. thanks again.

Paul Moir

Admiral

No, that's normal for a 2-stroke at 24:1. The oil builds up very quickly and is very visible in a barrel, especially if it's been idling. Generally, 2-stroke outboards run very inefficiently between idle and half throttle.<br />Often we get questions from concerned owners about black goo (unburnt oil) dripping from the exhaust. If you have doubts, pick some up with your fingers and sniff. The 2-stroke oil has a neutral or gasoline smell, while lower unit oil has that weird hypoid sulfer stink.